The Department of Environmental Science aims to enhance its profile locally and globally as a leading research-intensive department that advances knowledge and produces high-quality graduates to meet the challenges of environmental change in China. We aim to gain recognition as a leading environmental science research provider in Jiangsu Province and beyond.
Research within the Department is primarily devoted to questions of fundamental importance, but also includes applied research relevant locally, nationally, and internationally. Our research is interdisciplinary in nature, and we aim to embrace disciplines outside the department and combine expertise from other complementary departments. We play a key role in contributing to the overall research strategy of XJTLU. As opportunities arise both within and outside of XJTLU, we would anticipate contributing to other themes. To achieve our aims we will:
- Draw on the interdisciplinary nature of environmental science to carry out fundamental and applied research in areas of established strengths. We will also seek out emerging opportunities, both internally and externally
- Attract and retain world-class academic staff to engage in cutting-edge research activity. Staff recruitment will be primarily driven by our research agenda. We also aim to recruit high-quality undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Secure local, national and international funding to carry out fundamental and applied research
- Provide the infrastructure and services essential to support the training of undergraduate and graduate students and to conduct leading-edge research
- Engage with academic and industrial partners within and outside of XJTLU to promote and support interdisciplinary research, research networking and research collaborations
- Promote our research locally, nationally and internationally through publications in high-impact journals and presentations at strategic internationally recognised conferences.
Current strengths and emerging research opportunities
The Department currently has a range of research strengths, most of which fall within the overall research theme of contemporary Chinese environmental issues in water and on land. Current research strengths include:
- Fresh water ecology
- Soil ecology
- GIS and remote sensing
- Water quality
- Sediment dynamics
- Global change ecology
We are committed to maintaining our core research focus on contemporary environmental issues in China, but will be flexible and open to opportunities that may arise locally, nationally or internationally. Our research areas complement those of other departments so we anticipate increasing our interdisciplinary collaborations within XJTLU, mainly facilitated by cross-department institutions such as the Research Institute for Urbanisation.