The vision of the Department of Industrial Design is to build Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University's capability to shape the future with creativity, technical competence, and a passion for design and innovation.
The department’s educational emphases rest on the principles of new product development including aesthetic sensitivity, human-oriented responsibility, technological and engineering competence, user research as well as on social, cultural, and economic awareness, with a view to enabling people and communities to live desirable futures.
As China-based companies shift to a designed-in-China strategy and international companies seek to design for the Chinese market, graduates of our industrial design programmes should have excellent career opportunities and be well positioned for leadership roles within Chinese and multinational enterprises.
The department will help expand XJTLU’s leadership role of cultural influence in Suzhou Industrial Park and Jiangsu, across China, and around the world.
- Research and knowledge exchange: Create a science base and tools for design innovation for the next 20 years. Work with enterprises, investors, and entrepreneurs to assess novel design concepts and to partner with them in the research, design, development, and commercialisation necessary for realising their technologies
- Staff development: Build a world-class department
- Partnerships and collaboration: Network within and beyond XJTLU to support the research and educational mission of the department
- Business engagement: Broaden participation in innovation activities to Suzhou Industrial Park, Jiangsu, and beyond through providing inventors, entrepreneurs, and enterprises with the design tools and services for mutual benefit
- Student experience: Prepare students for a role as product integrators and bridge builders as China-based companies shift to a designed-in-China strategy and international companies seek to design for the Chinese market.
- Curriculum development and innovation: Mentor undergraduate, masters, and PhD students to be the entrepreneurial and educational leaders of tomorrow. Create a unique international department that blends western and eastern best practices.