The Certificate in Professional Studies (CPS) is a course designed to improve the student learning experience through instructor awareness of culture, pedagogy, issues, technology, and quality of teaching in a 21st Century, transnational context.
As the only teacher development postgraduate course that has been accredited by the Higher Education Association (HEA), CPS aims to train the professional competence and quality of university teachers. The participants can master the theory and techniques in teaching design, which can meet the diversified and personalised learning needs; develop the skills that can support students’ autonomous learning and life-long study competence, using multiple learning and teaching assessment strategies to promote the learning effect through the theoretical framework of learning, teaching and assessment, the procedural support for students’ learning and development, the learning and reflection of the three modules for learning and teaching assessment.
The course is positioned as the basic teaching competence training for teachers new to university , the participants need to compete the required modules with 20 credits with two years, successful candidates will be awarded the postgraduate certificate after completing the study and assessments. It has mainly been opened for internal academic staff in XJTLU over the past ten years, yet will be open to be public for the first time in 2018.
Successful completion of CPS will entitle you to Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, which can enhance your CV. It is also possible that having done the CPS you will be exempt from having to undertake a similar mandatory course if you move to another university.The course:
- provides an introduction to both the knowledge and the skills needed to support student learning at university
- supports all academic staff in their teaching role, and develops and enhances their teaching skills, knowledge and understanding of learning and teaching in higher education
- introduces academic staff to the opportunities for linking excellence in research with high-quality teaching and to the strategies and governance of a research intensive university
- provides hands-on assistance with technology and a virtual learning environment
- assists in the development of academic staff as reflective practitioners, and as higher education professionals.
The medium of instruction is English.