The first Open Access Day at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, organised by the XJTLU Library, will take place to coincide with the International Open Access Week, happening globally in October.
The topic of the event is 'Open in action: sharing from practitioners, librarians, publishers and researchers', which focuses on encouraging the XJTLU community to take concrete steps towards realising the goal of open research.
Open access is a new model of academic publishing. The Open Access Day will share with the University academic community, and the wider librarians' community, the knowledge, practice and benefits of open access, including:
- Current development and trends in the field
- How publish with open access journals
- How to identify questionable publishers and predatory journals
- How to deal with funding publishing in open access journals.
There will be several presentations by speakers including those from the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and the senior librarian who played an important role in drafting the Chinese national mandate for open access, as well as experts from publishers and researchers at XJTLU. They will talk about open access from their perspective and share their experiences and best practice.
The event will be a good chance for people from different roles in academic research and publishing to meet and talk.
- 9-9:30am: Topic one: Open access in China - progress and challenges. Speaker: Dr Xiaolin Zhang, National Science Library
- 9:40-10:10am: Topic two: Assessing the quality of open access journals. Speaker: Dr Tom Olijhoek, editor-in-chief, DOAJ
- 10:20-10:50am: Topic three: Infrastructure philosophies affecting research projects - The point of view of an XJTLU researcher. Speaker: Dr Theodoros Dounas, associate professor, Department of Architecture, International Innovation Hub of XJTLU
- 11-11:30am: Topic four: Advanced science - top science with maximum accessibility. Speaker: Mr Xu, deputy director, Wiley Publishing
- 11:40am-12pm: Topic five: Open in action - enhance research impact. Speaker: Dr Xin Bi, university librarian, XJTLU
- 12-13:30pm: Buffet lunch.