- Linguistics for language teachers
- Methods in English language teaching
- Principles of course and material design
- Second language acquisition
- Language testing and assessment
- Speaking and listening
- Research methods.
The MA TESOL programme will provide you with the opportunity to develop both a scholarly and practical understanding of the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). It is suitable for language teachers, teacher trainers, educational materials writers and test designers who wish to further develop their range of professional skills and knowledge.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
The MA TESOL programme will help you:
- gain an advanced critical understanding of key issues, theories and practices in the field of English language teaching
- acquire a sound knowledge and understanding of language in context
- explore the implications of language analysis for teaching purposes
- develop understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in classroom practice
- engage with theories underlying current views on language learning, including the importance of individual differences amongst learners in their abilities and learning preferences
- appreciate and view critically the connections between theory and practice in the field of English language teaching
- foster the ability to conduct academic research
I find that when I prepare for classes, I can always draw on what I learned from the programme and apply those things.Yunyi Zhou Alumna, MA TESOL, China
- Discourse analysis
- Lexis and vocabulary teaching
- English for specific purposes
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates may pursue TESOL as a new career or enhance their current prospects in the field of English language teaching. In China, a postgraduate qualification in TESOL is increasingly sought-after by educational institutions. Alternatively, the programme will facilitate the professional development of those candidates who are considering a career in publishing or materials development, and management positions.
The programme will also equip those interested in pursuing an academic career in the field of English language teaching and applied linguistics by preparing them to conduct research at MPhil, MRes, EdD and PhD level.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 30 month part-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 1st tier universities: 75 percent or above
- 2nd tier universities: 80 percent or above
Note: Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field such as English, linguistics, or education and literature. No teaching experience is required, but some relevant teaching experience at secondary or tertiary level would be an advantage.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 7.0 (minimum of 6.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 100 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.