UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
The BEng Architecture programme aims to provide you with a comprehensive foundation in architecture. Through architectural design tasks you will be guided in developing an understanding of the importance of human needs and desires, as well as developing creative and responsible responses, by taking into account the social, cultural, ecological, economic as well as technological contexts within which architecture is situated.
The BEng Architecture programme has become the first programme of its kind at a Chinese university to receive validation by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), thus demonstrating XJTLU's commitment to providing world-class, internationally recognised education to students from China and abroad.
The Royal Institute commended the Department of Architecture and its staff for “creating a distinctive environment in which students learn from an international and Chinese context with an ambition to produce a new type of graduate, with an emphasis on human-centred architecture, for the emerging global context."
Why should I study architecture at XJTLU?
- RIBA part one validation demonstrates the department’s commitment to providing world-class, internationally recognised education
- Excellent opportunities for further studies - around 20 percent of our graduates have received offers for further study from top-ranked universities in the field, such as the University of Pennsylvania in the USA, the Bartlett School of Architecture at the University College London in the United Kingdom, the University of Sydney in Australia, the Politecnico di Milano in Italy, and the National University of Singapore
- You will have opportunities for exciting work experience and internships - students and graduates have worked for internationally acclaimed offices such as David Chipperfield, Arup, Neri&Hu and TFP Farrells
- International and highly engaged academic staff with backgrounds from more than 15 different countries, creating a distinctive environment in which students learn from international and Chinese contexts
- The chance to take part in partly-funded field trips within China and to international destinations
- Various opportunities to take part in international workshops, as well as in workshops with international participation at XJTLU and elsewhere in China
- You will have opportunities to take part in exhibitions. In the past, students have exhibited at the Venice Biennale in Italy, the Suzhou Culture and Arts Centre, and the RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards exhibition in London, UK
- You will be encouraged to take part in competitions. In the past students have been successful in the Construction Festival organised by Tongji University, as well as at the IDEERS Earthquake Safe Design competition in Taipei, Taiwan
- There are opportunities to have work published in the Department of Architecture's yearbook
- Access to design studios and to fabrication and printing workshops equipped with printers, laser cutters and 3D printers
- Highly engaged technicians able to help with fabrication technologies
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from BEng Architecture, you will have:
- fluency in the productive use of analogue and digital design media, the Western and Chinese cultures and histories of architecture, the processes that form and transform urban space, principles of structure and construction, environmental control and architectural professional practice
- an ability to generate design proposals using understanding of a body of knowledge, some at the current boundaries of professional practice and the academic discipline of architecture
- an ability to apply a range of communication methods and media to present design proposals clearly and effectively
- an understanding of the alternative materials, processes and techniques that apply to architectural design and building construction
- an ability to evaluate evidence, arguments and assumptions in order to make and present sound judgments within a structured discourse relating to architectural culture, theory and design
- knowledge of the context of the architect and the construction industry, and the professional qualities needed for decision making in complex and unpredictable circumstances
- an ability to identify individual learning needs and understand the personal responsibility required for further professional education.
Having successfully graduated from XJTLU, I am now working at an architecture practice in Shanghai. I will soon undertake my masters at the Bartlett at UCL in London.Lijia Bao Alumna, BEng Architecture, China
The programme is focused on applied architectural design studio modules (accounting for 50 percent of the credits), which are delivered alongside humanistic modules (accounting for 25 percent of the credits) and technical modules (accounting for 25 percent of the credits).
Year Two provides the basis for the subsequent years of the programme. You will be introduced to the history and theory of architecture, building science, structure and construction as well as building technology. Experimental studio modules introduce you to the presentation, modelling and design of architectural spaces and small buildings.
- Design studio: design thinking and articulation
- Design studio: small space design
- Design studio: small scale architectural design
- History of Western architecture
- Structure and materials
- Introduction to environmental science
- Construction and materials
- Humanities and culture.
In Year Three, you will pursue design projects that require the integration of a more complex range of contextual parameters. You will continue to learn about building technology and the history and theory of architecture and urban developments.
In the final year, you will demonstrate an understanding of the complexity of architectural design processes from initial concepts to the design of buildings, taking into account human needs and desires as well as structural, material and environmental considerations.
Modules on digital design and building technology, theory, aesthetics and professional practice are designed to support the studio tasks. In Year Four, you will have the opportunity to select studio projects from a series of parallel briefs.
Architecture graduates find excellent opportunities for professional employment and for further education both locally and internationally in architecture and its related disciplines, as well as in other creative industries. Most of our graduates continue their studies on international masters programmes, either directly or after a year out in practice.
Around 20 percent of our graduates have received offers for further studies from universities ranked at the very top in the field, such as the University of Pennsylvania, the Bartlett at the University College London, the University of Sydney, the Politecnico di Milano, and the National University of Singapore. Our graduates also have been working for acclaimed international and Chinese practices such as David Chipperfield, Tong Ming Studio, Farrells, and Arup.
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All international students who accept their offer and pay the deposit by 1 May 2017 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who accept their offer and pay the deposit by 1 May 2017 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Mainland Chinese students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
How to apply
The architecture programme at XJTLU is ambitious, reflecting the demands and challenges professional architects are facing. Studies in architecture in general require an exceptional mix of strengths besides purely academic ones. These include strong creativity, visualisation (3D thinking and drawing) skills, aesthetic sensitivity, the ability to develop and to communicate complex ideas professionally and under time pressure as well as excellent self‐motivation and self‐management. Architecture students without these strengths face great difficulties during their studies. For these reasons, there is an architecture specific process for the admission to the BEng Architecture.
The architecture admission process at XJTLU requires candidates to present evidence or potential of their creative abilities and their commitment to the field of architecture. In 2015, around two thirds of the applicants were admitted to the BEng Architecture on the basis of a portfolio and statement produced in an on-site workshop during semester one of Year One.
All applicants interested in architecture need to also go through the regular XJTLU application process. Mainland Chinese candidates, please visit the how to apply page.
International applicants should submit their application via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. For application to the BEng Architecture you are asked to submit a portfolio. Subsequently, you will be invited for an online application interview. However, please notice that you do not have to submit your portfolio during your initial application. The portfolio file can also be submitted later, after having completed and submitted the initial online application.
Please see the application guidelines for details related to the admission process for international applicants to the BEng Architecture programe. The guidelines also specify the requirements for the portfolio and provide information about the application interview.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.