Visas and arrival

An important part of studying abroad as an international student is securing the correct visa, and we can help you throughout the process once you have received an offer from us.

Study with us

Please note that the information below is provided as a guide. For the latest information, you should contact your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate.

Visa for entry into China

There are a number of visas available to international students who want to study in China, depending on the duration of your intended period of study. Staff in our XJTLU Global team can advise you on the correct visa to apply for.

Please see the frequently asked questions. Students should contact us at [email protected] for more information on their options.

‘X’ visa

All students should hold an ‘X’ visa in order to enter China. It is valid for 30 days from your date of entry into China and you must apply for a residence permit within this time in order to obtain a legal stay in China. You should contact XJTLU Global when you arrive on campus for help with this process.

X1 visa: issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days.

X2 visa: issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.

Application process

You should apply for your student visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate in your home country. You should check with them for current visa processing time, the documents required and local procedures as these can vary widely:

The following documents are generally required when applying for a visa:

  • Valid passport
  • Unconditional offer/admission notice from XJTLU (make sure this is returned to you before you travel to China)
  • Visa application form for foreign students studying in China
  • JW202 form
  • Two recent passport photographs
  • Academic certificates or transcripts

You can find more information about the visa process at Chinese Visa Application Service Center (for reference only).

Arrival into China

Once you have secured your ‘X’ visa, you are advised to arrive no earlier than the induction week for your programme, so as to ensure that your programme of study begins during the 30-day period after you arrive in China.

All foreign citizens entering China, no matter which visa you hold, are required to register with the police within 24 hours of arrival. The International Student Recruitment and Support team will help you with this.

XJTLU Global will also help you obtain your residence permit, if you have entered on an ‘X’ visa.

We provide a pick-up service from nearby airports to XJTLU. To book the service, please complete and submit the pick-up service form.

For more information on what to do once you arrive in China, download our International Student Welcome Guide.

If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].