Boundaries in architecture become increasingly apparent when working in an international context. Boundaries can mean geographical borders or physical territories but also can refer to social, cultural and professional difference. Architectural practitioners working in an international or global context often find that while the projects are international, regulation and professional practice methods and procedures remain at the national level.
The aims of this conference are to bring together practitioners, academics and professional bodies from across China and internationally to discuss the key issues, challenges/opportunities, surrounding architectural practice in the global context and showcase the innovative and best practice methods architects develop. The conference will build a platform to share knowledge and foster collaborations in order to develop research links and practice collaborations between professional bodies, academia and industry
Call for papers
We welcome paper and poster submissions on topics belonging to, or “crossing the boundaries” of the below four themes, and more in general relating to international architectural practice around the world. Both practitioners and academics, including postgraduate research students, are encouraged to submit abstracts and/or posters illustrating research, critical reflections, best practices and case studies.
- Theme 1. Trans-national Architecture: Global Practice in the Local Context
- Theme 2. Architecture across Cultures: Making, Representation and Material
- Theme 3. Education and Professional Practice across Borders
- Theme 4. Future Cities, Sustainability, Workflows and BIM
The conference proceedings will be published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license and are fully Open Access. The proceedings will be published in a KnE series conference proceedings and submitted for indexing to Scopus and Web of Science (by Clarivate Analytics, formerly Thomson Reuters and ISI). More information.
For more information on the conference themes and keynote speakers or on how to submit an abstract, visit our website: click here
- Abstracts Deadline: 18th December 2018
- Posters Deadline: 17th February 2019
- Conference date: 19-21 June 2019
SponsorThis conference is supported by the University of Liverpool as well as the following professional bodies and architectural practices:
- the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- the China office of the American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- the Architects Council of Europe (ACE)
- the Union of International Architects (UIA)
- the Italian National Council of Architects (CNA)
- Building Design Partnership (BDP)