- Date: 29 - 31 May 2020
- Venue: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
- Hosts: The XJTLU English Language Centre
- Cohosts: CEAPA (China EAP Association) and BALEAP (The British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes)
- Conference language: English
- Deadline for abstract submission: February 28th, 2020
- Notification of acceptance: Late March 2020
The English Language Centre of Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is pleased to announce a Call for Abstracts for the forthcoming conference “CEAPA- BALEAP 2020 International Conference: EAP as a Glocal Language”.
In the globalized academia, English has become a lingua franca, and an increasing number of educational institutions have adopted English as a medium of instruction (EMI). As this phenomenon is burgeoning all over the world, traditional EAP teaching, which happens mostly in Anglophone settings, struggles to meet the need of students who are studying in non-Anglophone contexts. Meanwhile, English language teaching in higher education in EFL settings is also undergoing a transition from English for general purposes to English for academic purposes. This change can be seen particularly in China, where many universities are undertaking a change from College English Teaching (CET) to EAP teaching. These two strands can perhaps merge at some juncture, where EAP becomes a Glocal language.
We welcome abstracts on the following topics:
- Is EAP global or local?
- What does it mean to teach EAP in local contexts?
- How do we adapt EAP curricula in different contexts? What are some of the local innovations?
- How do we maintain our identity as EAP practitioners in increasingly globalized academic communities?
- How does English as the academic lingua franca impact EAP teaching?
- How has EAP pedagogy changed in recent years and how does this impact us?
- How can the changes in EAP teaching meet the increasing demands of internationalization and multilingualism in higher education?
To participate, please submit an abstract of no more than 250 words to Glocal2020@xjtlu.edu.cn by 28 February 2020. Authors of accepted abstracts will be notified before the end of March 2020.
Conference fees include:
- a delegates pack,
- Day 1: Lunch, tea/coffee, evening drinks reception,
- Day 2: Lunch, tea/coffee,
- Day 3: Lunch, tea/coffee.
- Welcoming event: evening drinks reception on 29th May
- Conference dinner: 30th May
For further information on the conference and on abstract submission, please see the conference webpage here or contact the organizers (Jon Ford, Helen Beech and Chen Chen) using the conference email address: Glocal2020@xjtlu.edu.cn.