Given the current situations under coronavirus, the CEAPA-BALEAP conference will be postponed to May 2021 in Suzhou. Further information will follow in due course.
- Date: May 2021
- Venue: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU)
- Hosts: School of Languages, XJTLU
- Cohosts: CEAPA (China EAP Association) and BALEAP (The British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes)
- Conference language: English
The School of Languages of Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is pleased to announce a Call for Abstracts for the forthcoming conference “CEAPA- BALEAP 2021 International Conference: EAP as a Glocal Language”.
In the globalised academia, English has become a lingua franca, and an increasing number of educational institutions have adopted English as a medium of instruction (EMI). As this phenomenon is burgeoning all over the world, traditional EAP teaching, which happens mostly in Anglophone settings, struggles to meet the need of students who are studying in non-Anglophone contexts. Meanwhile, English language teaching in higher education in EFL settings is also undergoing a transition from English for general purposes to English for academic purposes. This change can be seen particularly in China, where many universities are undertaking a change from College English Teaching (CET) to EAP teaching. These two strands can perhaps merge at some juncture, where EAP becomes a Glocal language.
We welcome abstracts on the following topics:
- Is EAP global or local?
- What does it mean to teach EAP in local contexts?
- How do we adapt EAP curricula in different contexts? What are some of the local innovations?
- How do we maintain our identity as EAP practitioners in increasingly globalized academic communities?
- How does English as the academic lingua franca impact EAP teaching?
- How has EAP pedagogy changed in recent years and how does this impact us?
- How can the changes in EAP teaching meet the increasing demands of internationalization and multilingualism in higher education?
To participate, please submit an abstract of no more than 250 words to Glocal2021@xjtlu.edu.cn.
Conference fees include:
- a delegates pack,
- Day 1: Lunch, tea/coffee, evening drinks reception,
- Day 2: Lunch, tea/coffee,
- Day 3: Lunch, tea/coffee.
- Welcoming event: evening drinks reception
- Conference dinner