The MRes Management programme helps you develop a systematic understanding and critical appreciation of alternative approaches, methodologies and paradigms of research in the field of business and management. It will equip you with an understanding of what constitutes quality research, and acquaint you with the research processes involved from the point of inception to project completion. You will be registered as an off-site University of Liverpool postgraduate research student, while studying at XJTLU in China.
The overall goal of the programme is to develop fully trained and competent management researchers who are able to understand and use research techniques appropriate to their subject area.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Why should I study Management at XJTLU?
- This programme is both a stand-alone masters programme as well as a prerequisite to those who wish to earn a PhD degree in management, economics or financial economics.
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
The MRes Management programme will equip you to:
- review systematically, and evaluate critically research paradigms and demonstrate how they inform management research projects
- analyse business and management processes and their environment using a multitude of conceptual approaches
- understand how the examination of different aspects in business and management research can be integrated
- demonstrate comprehensive understanding and critical reflection of literature in the field of study
- demonstrate self-direction and originality in the design of quality research projects in a range of managerial and organisational settings
- understand and systematically apply research skills in quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method data collection and analysis relative to business and management research
- appreciate how the organisational context affects the design, conduct, analysis, and interpretation of research in business and management
- advance your knowledge and understanding through the completion and comprehensive write-up of independently conducted research projects
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2018....
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.