- PhD, University of Bath – 2015
- MA, SOAS University of London – 2008
- BA, National Chengchi University – 2002
- Associate Professor, Department of China Studies, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Suzhou - 2018 to present
- Lecturer, Department of China Studies, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Suzhou - 2016 to 2018
- Research Fellow, University of Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg - 2015 to 2016
- Research Fellow, German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg - 2014 to 2015
- Environment and development
- Industrial policy
- Public sector reform
- Energy governance
- Chen, Zhiting and Geoffrey C. Chen (2019) 'The changing political economy of central state-owned oil companies in China', The Pacific Review, DOI: 10.1080/09512748.2019.1679229
- Chen, Geoffrey C. and Charles Lees (2019) ‘Political recentralisation and the diffusion of solar energy in China’, Europe-Asia Studies, 71(7), 1162–1182.
- Chen, Geoffrey C. and Charles Lees (2018) ‘The new, green, urbanization in China: between authoritarian environmentalism and decentralization’, Chinese Political Science Review, 3(2), 212–231.
- Nem Singh, Jewellord and Geoffrey C. Chen (2018) ‘State-owned enterprises and the political economy of state–state relations in the developing world’, Third World Quarterly, 39(6), 1077–1097.
- Chen, Geoffrey C. (2017) ‘Renewable energy development in East China’, Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports, 4(2), 33–37.
- Chen, Geoffrey C. (2016) ‘The forging of state-led ecological modernisation: renewable energy in Jiangsu and Zhejiang Provinces, China’, China: An International Journal, 14(2), 23–43.
- Chen, Geoffrey C. and Charles Lees (2016) ‘Growing China’s renewables sector: a developmental state approach’, New Political Economy, 21(6), 574–586.
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- Chen, Geoffrey C. (2016) Governing Sustainable Energies in China. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Research Development Fund (RDF), 'China and the Political Economy of Climate Technology Policies'. Grant awarded: CNY 69,850 and a PhD scholarship; Serving as Principal Investigator, in collaboration with David Goodman; July 2018 – June 2021.
- Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, General Research Fund (GRF), 'Decentralized Climate Governance and Policy Implementation in China: Unraveling a Paradox'. Grant awarded: HKD 757,920; Serving as Co-Investigator, in collaboration with Kevin Lo (HKBU) and others; January 2019 – December 2021.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK)
电话+86 (0)512 8188 4725
地址Room HS363, South Campus
Department of China Studies
Humanity and Social Science Building (HS)
Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
8 Chongwen Road
Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District
Suzhou Industrial Park