- Ph.D. , University of Alberta, - 2010
- M.S. , University of Alberta, Canada - 2001
- Other , Zhejiang University, China - 1988
- B.A. , Suzhou University, China - 1986
- (Visiting) Full Professor, Xiamen University of Technology - 2010 to 2013
- Linguist, Zi Corporation - 2007 to 2009
- Associate Professor & Director, Institute of College English, Zhejiang University - 1996 to 1999
- Lecturer & Associate Director, Institute of College English, Zhejiang University - 1995 to 1996
- Visiting Lecturer, Central College, USA - 1994 to 1994
- Instructor & later Lecturer, Zhejiang University - 1988 to 1993
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Comparative studies of English and Chinese
- Corpus Linguistics
- Syntax & Semantics
- Psycholinguistics including language acquisition
- Language teaching & learning
- Yin, Hui 2015 'English or Chinese: Which is a more compounding language', LACUS Forum, vol. 40, no. , p.
- Yin, Hui 2015 'English Pronunciation Error/Problem Analysis for Chinese Students', Asian EFL Journal, vol. , no. , p.
- Yin, Hui 2015 'English and Mandarin Serial or Non-serial Verb Constructions', International Journal of Language and Linguistics, vol. , no. , p.
- Yin, Hui 2014 'The semantic network of the Japanese verb kuru 'come'', International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, vol. 4, no. 12, p. 245-256
- Yin, Hui 2014 'New Methods in Vocabulary Teaching in the CSL Classroom', Journal of Creative Practices in Language Learning and Teaching, vol. 2, no. 1, p. 15-24
- Yin, Hui 2014 'The status quo, issues and remedies of English phonetic teaching in higher education institutions', East China Foreign Language Platform, vol. , no. , p.
- Yin, Hui 2011 'The cognitive semantics of Chinese motion/directional verbs', Working Papers of the Linguistics Circle of the University of Victoria, vol. , no. 21, p. 118-125
- Elena, Nicoladis & Yin, Hui 2010 'Evidence for the role of frequency in the acquisition of lexicalization patterns of Chinese-English bilingual children', Journal of Chinese Linguistics, vol. 28, no. 2, p. 288-322
- Elena, Nicoladis, Pika, Simone, Yin, Hui & Marentette, Paula 2007 'Gesture use in story recall by Chinese–English bilinguals', Applied Psycholinguistics, vol. , no. 28, p. 721-735
- Yin, Hui 2004 'Similarities and differences in English broadcast news and newspaper news', US-China Foreign Language, vol. 2, no. 10, p. 29-37
- Yin, Hui 2004 'Fostering learner autonomy in the college English classroom', Foreign Languages and Their Teaching, vol. , no. 9, p. 33-36
- (2010-2011) The so-called Chinese VV compounds--a continuum between lexicon and syntax In: 2010 Canadian Linguistics Association Annual Conference, pp.
- (2007-2008) Serial Verb Constructions in English and Chinese In: 2007 Canadian Linguistic Association Annual Conference, pp.
- (2006-2007) The role of processing strategies in Chinese In: 2006 Canadian Linguistic Association Annual Conference, pp.
- (2005-2006) A comparison of two satellite-framed languages: English and Chinese In: 2005 Northwest Linguistics Conference, pp.
- (2004-2005) Grammaticalization of Mandarin transfer verbs gei and bei as passive markers In: 2004 Canadian Linguistic Association Conference, pp.
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- Yin, Hui 2012 A cognitive approach to serial verb constructions in Mandarin Chinese, Xiamen University Press, Xiamen, China
Chapters, cases, readings and supplements
- Yin, Hui 2010, 'A corpus-based comparison of satellites in Chinese and English' in Richard Xiao (eds) Using Corpora in Contrastive and Translation Studies, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 414-432
- Yin, Hui 2005, 'Exploiting text-corpora to develop teacher and learner autonomy' in Pang, Jixian & Fan, Jieping (eds) Autonomy and Language Learning: Maintaining Control, Zhejiang University Press, pp. 185-193
- 2009-2010, The First International Conference on Chinese as a Second Language Research / New Methods in Vocabulary Teaching in Chinese as a Second Language
- 2011-2012, The International Conference on Phonology and Phonetics / Promoting comparative methodology in pronunciation teaching in EFL
- 2011-2012, The International Conference on Bilingualism and Comparative Linguistics / Verbal and nominal lexicalization differences in English & Chinese
- 2011-2012, The third International symposium on tonal aspects of languages / A Unified account of Mandarin tone 3 and tone 4 sandhi
- 2011-2012, The International Conference on Corpus technologies & applied linguistics / Correlation between Type/token Ratios and Event Integration in Chinese Multi-verb Constructions
- 2012-2013, The Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States Forum. / English or Chinese: Which is a more compounding language
- 2013-2014, The Corpus Linguistics in China 2013 Conference / Interactions between Lexical Items and Mandarin Multi-verb Constructions
Professional service activities
- 2015 Sino-US English Teaching.
- 2015 Linguistic association of Canada and the United States.
- 2015 International Journal of English Linguistics.
- 2015 US-China Foreign Language.
Awards and honours
- 2005 PhD Dissertation Fellowship, University of Alberta
- 2004 Edward Chang Memorial Graduate Scholarship, University of Alberta
- 2003 Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship, University of Alberta
- 2003 Andrew Stewart Memorial Graduate Prize, University of Alberta
- 2002 Edward Chang Memorial Graduate Scholarship, University of Alberta
- 2001 F. S. Chia PhD Scholarship, University of Alberta
- 1998 Zhu Ko-zheng Outstanding Teaching Award, Zhejiang University
- 1998 Liu Dan Excellent Teaching Award, Zhejiang University
- 1997 Special Award for Excellent Young Teachers, Zhejiang University
- 1987 Graduate Scholarship, Zhejiang University