Currently the tuition fee payable by full-time students on postgraduate research programmes is RMB 80,000 per year. It normally takes three years to complete a full-time PhD programme.
The Department of Architecture welcomes proposals for its research-based PhD programme. Potential candidates are invited to position their PhD research proposals on one or more of the Department’s areas of strength, which include:
- Architectural design and architectural studio education
- Architectural, environmental or construction technology
- Computer-aided architectural design
- Architectural history and built heritage studies
- Social and cultural study of the built environment.
Our PhD programme is a strategic research collaboration between XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, based at XJTLU. Upon successful completion of your programme you will receive a degree from the University of Liverpool, which is recognised by the UK’s Department of Education as well as China’s Ministry of Education.
The normal length of full-time PhD programme is three years. At the end of three years’ full-time study, you can apply for an extension of one year to complete the writing of your dissertation. Part-time PhD degrees usually take four to seven years.
As a registered full-time PhD student, you have the opportunity to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months. Your accommodation and travel fees will be covered by XJTLU and the University of Liverpool.
Full-time PhD students are funded to attend local and international conferences during their studies, with a budget of up to RMB 16,500.
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- Our PhD programme equips you with a range of professional skills to help you maximise your future employability
- Our supervisors will guide you through one of the most intellectually satisfying experiences of your life
- Supervision from respected academics at both XJTLU and the University of Liverpool
- PhD students have dedicated travel budgets for participating in international conferences
- The chance to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months
- Opportunities to work as a teaching assistant and develop crucial academic skills.
Please check the FAQ for further information about studying for a PhD at XJTLU.
- No staff found
For part-time students, tuition fee payable is RMB 60,000 per year. Part-time PhD study is typically completed in four to seven years.
Fees are waived for students who are awarded an XJTLU PhD scholarship.
Specific funded PhD projects are available that have a scholarship covering the tuition fee and a monthly stipend. Please visit scholarships for specific financial information. The Department has the following funded PhD projects available (this list is regularly updated):
|Title of PhD project||Reference number||Status||Supervisor|
|Novel Decentralized Ventilation System with a Hybrid Radiant Panel for Low Energy and Zero Emission Architecture||RDF-15-02-32||Open||Dr Moon Keun Kim [email protected]u.cn|
|A Parametric Form Language for Fibre Reinforced Concrete Prefabricated Elements Using 3D Printed Formwork
||RDF-17-01-26||Open||Dr Christiane M. Herr
|Large-scale rapid energy modelling of buildings
||RDF-17-01-40||Open||Dr Marco Cimillo
We accept a wide variety of academic qualifications for entry onto our PhD programme. Please see our entry requirements for additional information.
How to apply
All applications for a PhD programme should start with you emailing potential supervisors about either a specific funded project or about your idea for a self-funded project.
They can help you with the next stages of the application process and you can also find out more information on our how to apply section.