Currently the tuition fee payable by full-time students on postgraduate research programmes is RMB 80,000 per year. It normally takes three years to complete a full-time PhD programme.
The Department of Architecture welcomes proposals for its research-based PhD programme. Potential candidates are invited to position their PhD research proposals on one or more of the Department’s areas of strength, which include:
- Architectural design and architectural studio education
- Architectural, environmental or construction technology
- Computer-aided architectural design
- Architectural history and built heritage studies
- Social and cultural study of the built environment.
Our PhD programme is a strategic research collaboration between XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, based at XJTLU. Upon successful completion of your programme you will receive a degree from the University of Liverpool, which is recognised by the UK’s Department of Education as well as China’s Ministry of Education.
The normal length of full-time PhD programme is three years. At the end of three years’ full-time study, you can apply for an extension of one year to complete the writing of your dissertation. Part-time PhD degrees usually take four to seven years.
As a registered full-time PhD student, you have the opportunity to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months. Your accommodation and travel fees will be covered by XJTLU and the University of Liverpool.
Full-time PhD students are funded to attend local and international conferences during their studies, with a budget of up to RMB 16,500.
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- Our PhD programme equips you with a range of professional skills to help you maximise your future employability
- Our supervisors will guide you through one of the most intellectually satisfying experiences of your life
- Supervision from respected academics at both XJTLU and the University of Liverpool
- PhD students have dedicated travel budgets for participating in international conferences
- The chance to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months
- Opportunities to work as a teaching assistant and develop crucial academic skills.
- No staff found
For part-time students, tuition fee payable is RMB 60,000 per year. Part-time PhD study is typically completed in four to seven years.
Fees are waived for students who are awarded an XJTLU PhD scholarship.
We have a number of scholarship options for PhD candidates, including tuition-only scholarships for full-time PhD study and an academic merit scholarship for international students. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
Additionally, specific funded PhD projects are available that have a scholarship covering the tuition fee and a monthly stipend. Please visit scholarships for specific financial information. The Department has the following funded PhD projects available (this list is updated in January and July every year):
|Title of PhD project||Reference number||Status||Supervisor|
|Situating Independent Chinese Architects in Modern China||RDF-15-01-43||Open||Professor Pierre-Alain Croset [email protected]|
|Novel Decentralized Ventilation System with a Hybrid Radiant Panel for Low Energy and Zero Emission Architecture||RDF-15-02-32||Open||Dr Moon Keun Kim [email protected]|
|A Void at the Centre: The Possibility of Courtyard Housing||RDF-15-02-37||Open||Dr Tordis Berstrand [email protected]|
|The Energy Retrofit of the Existing Residential Building Stock in Jiangsu Province||RDF-16-01-46||Open||Dr Marco Cimillo
We accept a wide variety of academic qualifications for entry onto our PhD programme. Please see our entry requirements for additional information.
How to apply
All applications for a PhD programme should start with you emailing potential supervisors about either a specific funded project or about your idea for a self-funded project.
They can help you with the next stages of the application process and you can also find out more information on our how to apply section.