The BEng Architecture programme aims to provide you with a comprehensive foundation in architecture. Through architectural design tasks you will be guided in developing an understanding of the importance of human needs and desires, as well as developing creative and responsible solutions.
Why should I study Architecture at XJTLU?
- RIBA Part 1 Validation
- Excellent career prospects and opportunities for further studies
- Opportunities for exciting work experience and internships
- Award-winning international and highly engaged academic staff from more than 15 different countries
- Opportunity to spend Year 3 at Politecnico di Torino in Italy, and receive the same RIBA validated degree as other students in the 4-year programme
- Partially-funded field trips within China and overseas
- Participation in local and international workshops with world-famous architects
- Participation in exhibitions
- Participation in competitions and conferences
- Opportunities to be published in the XJTLU Architecture Yearbook
- World-class facilities including dedicated design studios, a materials library, and fabrication and printing workshops equipped with printers, laser cutters and 3D printers
- Highly engaged technicians able to help with fabrication technologies
- Two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
The BEng Architecture programme has become the first programme of its kind at a Chinese university to receive validation by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), thus demonstrating XJTLU's commitment to providing world-class, internationally recognised education to students from China and abroad.
The Royal Institute commended the Department of Architecture and its staff for “creating a distinctive environment in which students learn from an international and Chinese context with an ambition to produce a new type of graduate, with an emphasis on human-centred architecture, for the emerging global context."
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from BEng Architecture, you will have:
- fluency in the productive use of analogue and digital design media
- knowledge of both Chinese and Western cultures in relation to architectural history and theory
- an understanding of processes that form and transform urban space, principles of structure and construction, environmental control, and professional practice
- an ability to generate competitive, creative and critical design proposals
- an ability to apply a range of communication methods and media to present design proposals clearly and effectively
- an understanding of alternative materials, processes and techniques related to architectural design and construction
- an ability to evaluate evidence, arguments and assumptions in order to make and present sound judgments both within architectural design discourse and beyond
- knowledge of the context of the architect and the construction industry, and the professional qualities needed for decision making in complex and unpredictable circumstances
- an ability to identify individual learning needs and understand the personal responsibility required for further professional education
The fourth edition of the yearbook of the Department of Architecture presents student works created during the academic year 2016-2017. The yearbook exemplifies the model for architectural education, for which the department was commended by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). The yearbook is a showcase of the creative culture that has guided our students in taking their first steps as responsible and creative architectural designers in both Chinese and international contexts.
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
How to apply
The architecture programme at XJTLU is ambitious, reflecting the demands and challenges professional architects are facing. Studies in architecture in general require an exceptional mix of strengths besides purely academic ones. These include strong creativity, visualisation (3D thinking and drawing) skills, aesthetic sensitivity, the ability to develop and to communicate complex ideas professionally and under time pressure as well as excellent self‐motivation and self‐management. Architecture students without these strengths face great difficulties during their studies. For these reasons, there is an architecture specific process for the admission to the BEng Architecture.
The architecture admission process at XJTLU requires candidates to present evidence or potential of their creative abilities and their commitment to the field of architecture. In 2015, around two thirds of the applicants were admitted to the BEng Architecture on the basis of a portfolio and statement produced in an on-site workshop during semester one of Year One.
All applicants interested in architecture need to also go through the regular XJTLU application process. Mainland Chinese candidates, please visit the how to apply page.
International applicants should submit their application via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. For application to the BEng Architecture you are asked to submit a portfolio. Subsequently, you will be invited for an online application interview. However, please notice that you do not have to submit your portfolio during your initial application. The portfolio file can also be submitted later, after having completed and submitted the initial online application.
Please see the application guidelines for details related to the admission process for international applicants to the BEng Architecture programe. The guidelines also specify the requirements for the portfolio and provide information about the application interview.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.