UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
The BSc Economics and Finance programme will provide you with a real competitive edge as you gain knowledge of both economic and financial theory and an understanding of the relation between the mechanisms driving economic systems and the workings of capital markets.
You will develop the intellectual, analytical and modelling skills needed to solve problems in economics, finance and related areas. You will also learn to use the analytical tools required to appreciate and critically analyze economic and financial policy issues and problems.
The interdisciplinary path will prepare you for specialist courses such as financial economics and financial econometrics. The programme will provide a basic knowledge of accounting, which is invaluable for understanding how enterprises work.
Why should I study Economics and Finance at XJTLU?
- Understand financial transactions in a broader economic context, as financial markets emerge as the next step in the development of the Chinese economy
- Take advantage of XJTLU's partnerships with important players in international financial markets as well as a Thomson Reuters Financial Lab that you can access on-site for research
- Be well-prepared to sit for the CFA Investment Foundations Program exam at a discounted registration fee when you successfully complete the only module in China accepted into the CFA Institute Investment Foundations Academic Program
- Get on the fast-track to a career in the financial sector or in the professional services industry
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritive and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation and IBSS is the youngest school ever to have achieved it.
- Start date
- Department International Business School Suzhou
- Attendance Full time
- Duration Three or four years
- Prospectus Download file (This link opens in a new window)
BSc (Hons) Economics More about qualifications
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the BSc Economics and Finance programme, you will have:
- a solid background in economics and financial theory
- a good understanding of these two fields and the ability to build on this interdisciplinary perspective to solve contemporary market questions
- the intellectual, analytical and modelling skills needed in the fields of economics and finance
- the ability to apply the knowledge and skills required to solve specific theoretical and applied problems in economics and finance
- preparation for the job market, with a sound understanding of economics in general and a specialised knowledge of financial markets.
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Corporate Finance
- Mathematical Economics
- Econometric Theory
- Financial Instruments.
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
Optional modules :
Graduates from this programme will be well-prepared for positions including those in the financial sector or professional services industry (including 'The Big Four' accounting and consulting firms: KPMG, Deloitte, PwC, and Ernst & Young).
Graduates will also be prepared for postgraduate studies in finance, economics and related subjects.
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All international students who accept their offer by 1 May 2020 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Join a free Chinese language course
We now offer a free summer Chinese language course for all undergraduate and postgraduate students starting their degree in September 2020.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who accept their offer by 1 May 2020 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who apply to XJTLU through the Joint Entrance Examination on the governmental online application system (Education Examination Authority of Guangdong Province) will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Mainland Chinese students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
Dr Yang Chen joined IBSS since 2012 after graduation from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. Her doctoral research focuses on fiscal decentralisation and inter-government strategic behavior, particularly in the field of fiscal competition, dynamic fiscal policy and economic growth with applications in Chinese and Asia Pacific Economy. Before working as a Lecturer in Economic group at IBSS, she has been a Lecturer in Singapore Institute of Management between 2011 and 2012. Yang also served as Research Fellow for the Singapore Lien Chinese Enterprise Research Center from 2008 to 2011, Research Fellow in Peking University-Lincoln Institute Center for Urban Development and Land Policy, Research Committee Member for Institute for Leadership and Educational Advanced Development (ILEAD) jointly with National Academy of Education Administration. Yang Chen has published in international renowned journals such as Journal of Regional Science, Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, International Journal of Finance and Economics, Economics Letters, Economics Modelling, Urban Studies. She is a member of the American Economic Association, and Chinese Economists Society.Dr Yang Chen Programme Director, BSc Economics and Finance
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.