The BA/BEng Urban Planning and Design programme offers students the opportunity to study both local and international urban and rural landscapes in a dynamic and supportive learning environment. Students will be able to equip themselves with knowledge and skills to analyse, critique and, ultimately, contribute to the sustainability of urban and rural development both in China and around the world. On completion, students will be able to work in sectors such as urban planning, urban design, city management, central and local government policy, consultancy, and real estate development.
Urban planning and design students learn how to formulate strategic plans, design liveable spaces and create public places. You will consider the social, economic and environmental needs of a town or city and the impact of those on the built environment, helping companies and governments make difficult decisions on the use of land including whether to develop, what to develop and how to develop. In recent years, urban planning and design has become particularly concerned with the preservation and impact of the natural environment, for example, how we deal with the growing pollution in our cities and concerns about natural disasters like earthquakes and floods. Other concerns include the scarcity of land and how to achieve an efficient and effective use of space. The rate of development in China means that good planning is essential. The BA/BEng Urban Planning and Design programme at XJTLU is international in focus and has been designed to help students appreciate the similarities and differences between planning in China, the UK and other countries throughout the world.
Why should I study Urban Planning and Design at XJTLU?
- Our globally competitive, professional programme is unique in its focus on both local Chinese and international planning systems and urban design practice
- You will be offered a range of learning experiences such as interactive studios, field surveys and local and international field classes and design workshops
- The Department of Urban Planning and Design offers a supportive learning environment which encourages you to become an independent active learner and critical thinker
- Gain transferable skills that provide a platform for success in your future study or employment in planning and urban design-related fields
- Earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities
Knowledge and skills
On successful completion of the BA/BEng Urban Planning and Design programme, you will be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of the natural, economic, socio-economic and political factors that are shaping our surroundings
- knowledge and understanding of how the built and natural environment is managed in different places around the world
- an understanding of the role, scope and limitations of contemporary town and regional planning in contributing to the management of growth and change, and the conservation of the built and natural environment
- knowledge and understanding of the legal basis for action in environment and planning and the relationship between planning and environmental issues
- an appreciation of decision-making processes that represent the views of the diverse communities who are affected by those decisions
- an ability to think clearly and critically, to reason logically and to undertake systematic research
- techniques in computing, numeracy, design and various forms of communication
- skills in teamwork to achieve prescribed tasks collectively
- the ability to reflect critically on your studies and learning
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.