- Research methods in biotechnology
- Research methods in post-genomic biology
- Research methods in bioinformatics
- Project management
- Research project
The MRes Molecular Bioscience programme provides a thorough understanding of key approaches for studying biological processes at the molecular level. It takes advantage of XJTLU’s advanced English-language capabilities, distinctive international features and state-of-the-art research facilities.
The programme covers biotechnology-related topics such as molecular biology, protein biochemistry and drug discovery, as well as post-genomic biology (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and bioimaging), and bioinformatics, such as acquisition and statistical analysis of large-scale biodata. It also places a major emphasis on providing project management skills. After these taught modules, the programme focuses on an in-depth research project and specialised dissertation. Customised individual learning plans are designed for students, in keeping with their backgrounds and career aspirations. Successful completion of the programme leads to the award of an MRes degree from the University of Liverpool, United Kingdom.
The Department of Biological Sciences at XJTLU has internationally respected investigators in this field of research with excellent teaching and laboratory infrastructure. Students have the opportunity to carry out world-class research in a dynamic, transnational environment.
Why should I study Molecular Bioscience at XJTLU?
- Taught by international academic staff who are experts in molecular bioscience
- Programme only takes 18 months – much shorter than masters degree programmes in most Chinese universities
- Excellent preparation for PhD programmes in high-quality Western and Chinese universities
- Relevant to careers in a wide range of bio-industries including biotechnology, bioengineering, bioagriculture, biomanufacturing and pharmaceutical companies
- XJTLU is located near many biotechnology companies in BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with over 400 companies, ideal for internships
- Nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia hosts prestigious scientific symposia, conferences and summer schools providing our students with the opportunity to interact with world-famous researchers
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MRes Molecular Bioscience programme, you will have:
- developed key employable skills such as data analysis, report writing, team-building/networking and project management
- a range of critical interdisciplinary research skills and a internationally recognised qualification from a globally respected university.
Successful study takes determination, top facilities and support from quality academic staff.Bingyu Li Student, MRes Molecular Bioscience, China
Additional learning activity
200 hours per semester of additional learning activity are required to complete your masters degree, including:
- Personal and employability skills
- Laboratory rotation
- English language modules
- Chinese language classes for non-native speakers
- Graduate teaching assistantship
- Work placement.
Other appropriate academic activities, such as participation in the level three undergraduate modules and research seminar series.
The MRes Molecular Bioscience programme prepares graduates for advanced research in both international and Chinese university settings, as well as in the bioindustrial sector such as biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 1st tier universities: 75 percent or above
- 2nd tier universities: 80 percent or above
Note: Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a life science-related discipline.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our four- or six-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the four- or six-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.