- Sustainable energy and the environment
- Nuclear energy technology
- Power system network and smart grids
- Integration of energy strategies in the design of buildings
- Photovoltaic energy technology
- Renewable kinetic energy technologies
- Power electronics and applications for renewable energy
- Sustainable urban planning strategies
The MSc Sustainable Energy Technology programme provides state-of-the-art education in the fields of sustainable energy generation, distribution and consumption. It is intended to respond to a growing skills shortage of engineers with a high level of training in renewable energy, smart grids and sustainability.
By the time you graduate, you will have a thorough understanding of sustainability standards, various renewable energies, smart grid and power electronics for renewable energy and energy use management in buildings, urban design and other areas. Research on sustainable energy technology has opened up many job opportunities in industry, government institutions and research centres.
Lab facilities include:
- a power electronics laboratory equipped with advanced experimental equipment
- a sustainable energy laboratory equipped with advanced experimental equipment including a 600W wind turbine, two 270W solar modules, batteries, an inverter with sinusoidal output and main controller
- an electric machine and power system laboratory.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By studying MSc Sustainable Energy Technology you will benefit from:
- studying at an international university recognised throughout the world
- close cooperation with world-famous universities and research centres to solve major technical challenges including energy crises and environmental pollution
- excellent research opportunities, using advanced experimental equipment including a network analyser, power analyser, Dspace controller, wind turbine and PV testing system
- continuous development of core modules to meet the requirements of industrial innovation
- cutting-edge research in the intelligent and efficient utilisation of solar, wind energy and other renewable energy sources.
My way of thinking about renewable energy has been enhanced, allowing me to understand major challenges we are facing to live in a sustainable environment.Hengyang Lou Alumnus, MSc Sustainable Energy Technology, China
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates of this programme will typically work on professional tasks including the implementation of sustainable energy technologies within existing or new systems, and modelling and evaluation of the impact on ecosystems, economics and society.
Graduates may be employed as electric power system engineers, electric power system consultants, electric power projects managers, sustainable cities and building design consultants, managers and team leaders in government.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 1st tier universities: 75 percent or above
- 2nd tier universities: 80 percent or above
Note: Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field such as electrical engineering, electronic science and technology, telecommunication engineering, computer science and technology, mathematics, semiconductor physics, automation and control, embedded systems, engineering thermal physics or other related disciplines.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.