UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
Mathematics underpins much of the modern world and is fundamental to science, technology and the world of business and finance. In the BSc Applied Mathematics programme you will study a core of essential mathematical topics and mathematical modelling techniques and be introduced to a varied range of applications. A selection of optional modules allows you to follow your individual interests and career plans.
By studying mathematics you will develop strong analytical skills, problem-solving abilities and an appreciation of the importance of logical reasoning. You will also develop computational skills and learn how mathematical modelling can be used to help analyse real-world problems. These skills are essential in many industries and are highly sought-after by employers.
Why should I study Applied Mathematics at XJTLU?
- You will join a vibrant learning environment of around 700 undergraduate students and expert staff from around the world.
- Throughout the programme you will develop an understanding of the fundamental concepts of mathematics as well as the practical mathematical modelling skills for solving a wide range of real-world problems.
- The flexible programme allows you to choose modules from different application areas of mathematics, including finance, operational research and physics.
- The Visiting Study Abroad Programme gives you the opportunity to study in the USA during Year Three at the prestigious Michigan State University.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships allow you to take part in research with financial support provided.
- XJTLU's location in the Suzhou Industrial Park provides you with the opportunity to undertake internships at a variety of financial and technological institutions and multinational companies.
- You can earn two degrees - an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a UK degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
- Start date
- Department Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Attendance Full time
- Duration Three or four years
- Prospectus Download file (This link opens in a new window)
BSc Mathematics More about qualifications
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from BSc Applied Mathematics, you will:
- Have a secure understanding of core areas of mathematics: analysis, linear algebra, differential equations and statistics
- Be able to reason clearly and critically, and construct mathematical arguments
- Know how to analyse a mathematical problem and select appropriate mathematical tools to solve it
- Be able to construct and assess mathematical models for real-world problems
- Have the ability to communicate mathematical information, ideas, problems and solutions in English to both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Our programme explores a wealth of mathematical ideas with applications to real life, and opens up a wide range of career paths in business, industry, and research.Dr Simon Lloyd Programme director, BSc Applied Mathematics
- Complex functions
- Fluid mechanics and vector field theory
- Ordinary differential equations and control
- Classical mechanics
- Numerical analysis
- Partial differential equations
- Statistical distribution theory.
An applied mathematics degree gives you access to a wide range of rewarding career paths. Graduates are highly sought-after in the job market and are employed as analysts, modellers, data scientists, statisticians and managers in industries such as finance, information technology, biotechnology, consultancy, and in government.
Many of our students choose to continue their studies at postgraduate level. Popular choices of masters programme include applied mathematics, pure mathematics, financial mathematics, industrial mathematics, mathematical modelling, actuarial science, financial engineering and statistics. An increasing number of graduates are enrolled for further studies at renowned universities abroad such as Columbia University and the University of Washington in the USA and the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London in the UK.
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All international students who accept their offer by 1 May 2018 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Join a free Chinese language course
We now offer a free summer Chinese language course for all undergraduate and postgraduate students starting their degree in September 2018.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who accept their offer by 1 May 2018 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Mainland Chinese students
RMB 77,000 per academic year
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
I really love mathematics and I believe it is fundamental to everything. I am very lucky because at XJTLU all of my lecturers assist me in realising my potential.Rafhanah Ramli Student, BSc Applied Mathematics, Malaysia
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.