The rapid growth of available data is transforming the way managers, accountants, investors, and marketers are working. The ability to integrate big data into their analyses, business plans and decisions is becoming essential if firms are to maintain their competitive advantage.
The MSc Business Analytics programme is a response to these changes in the economic and technological environment. It aims to transform business students into multi-talented professionals, standing in-between their core field of expertise (such as management, finance, and marketing) and information technologies.
In addition to advanced modules in finance, marketing and management, the programme offers a deep understanding of the most up-to-date methods for data-processing (such as machine learning, data mining) and data management. Our teaching philosophy is practice-oriented. With this in mind, after an intensive 12-month period of study you will have the opportunity to complete your training with a six-month internship within a company.
You will benefit from the Big Data Analytics and Technology Centre that has been set up at XJTLU in collaboration with IBM and the Suzhou International Science-Park Data Centre (SISDC). Business analytics training will be available, utilising IBM software, and you will have the opportunity to apply for internships or projects at SISDC.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Why should I study Business Analytics at XJTLU?
- Access the Big Data Analytics and Technology Centre
- Acquire skills of practical processing and exploration of big data
- Learn about some of the latest data analysis techniques making use of AI, such as machine learning and data mining
- Have opportunities to complete internships
- Take advantage of industry links with local companies
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Business Analytics programme will equip you with:
- A rich understanding of the opportunities and threats posed to organisations by the current increase in data availability
- An ability to analyse, model and investigate large networks of peoples and companies.
- An appreciation of the ethical issues and risks related to the advent of interconnected databases
- Knowledge and understanding of current practices, theories and issues in a traditional field of business studies
- Skills in data processing (descriptive statistics, econometrics and machine learning), problem solving and decision-making (using statistical and data analyses to resolve organisational problems)
- Proficiency in the use of a wide variety of statistical packages suitable for analysing large data sets.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to obtain your Masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The additional learning activities on MSc Business Analytics include:
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Personal and Employability Skills
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese Language
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- Graduate Research Assistantship
- Independent Study with an IBSS Tutor
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- Writing of Scholarly Research Paper
- Presentation of Scholarly Research Paper
- Thomson One Certificate Achievement
- EIKON Certificate Achievement
- Datastream Certificate Achievement
- Professional Software Skills
- Volunteer Work for University and School Projects and Events
- In-Company Project
- Field Trip/Company visit
- Career Development Activities
- Graduate Work Placement
- SAP TERP10
Business analytics skills are in high demand in every sector of the economy, particularly within the fast-growing service sectors (e.g. finance, retail, marketing, and information technology). The typical positions our graduates target include data or information analyst, technical consultant, IT-related project manager and customer relationship management (CRM) analyst.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2018....
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in accounting, economics, management, finance, marketing, science or engineering. Prior knowledge of econometrics is desirable, but not essential.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.