The rapid growth of available data is transforming the way managers, accountants, investors and marketers are working. The ability to integrate big data into business plans and decisions is becoming essential for organisations to maintain their competitive advantage.
The MSc Business Analytics programme is a response to these changes in the economic and technological environment. You will graduate as a multi-talented professional, standing in-between your chosen core field of expertise (such as management, finance, and marketing) and information technologies.
In addition to advanced business modules, the programme provides an in-depth understanding of cutting-edge data-processing and data management methods.
The programme is delivered in the International Business School Suzhou (IBSS), one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS). Less than 100 business schools worldwide have both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation.
Why should I study Business Analytics at XJTLU?
- Study the latest data analysis techniques, making use of artificial intelligence technology such as machine learning and data mining
- Take advantage of industry links with local companies and opportunities for work experience at big data companies in Suzhou or Shanghai
- Learn in a practice-oriented environment, which gives you the chance to complete your training with a six-month internship within a company
- Benefit from the Big Data Analytics and Technology Centre at XJTLU, developed in collaboration with IBM and the Suzhou International Science-Park Data Centre
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Business Analytics, you will have:
- a rich understanding of the opportunities and threats posed to organisations by the current increase in data availability
- an ability to analyse, model and investigate large networks of peoples and companies
- knowledge of current practices, theories and issues in a traditional field of business studies
- skills in data processing (descriptive statistics, econometrics and machine learning), problem-solving, and decision-making (using statistical and data analyses to resolve organisational problems)
- proficiency in the use of a wide variety of statistical packages suitable for analysing large data sets.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to obtain your Masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The additional learning activities on MSc Business Analytics include:
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Personal and Employability Skills
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese Language
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- Graduate Research Assistantship
- Independent Study with an IBSS Tutor
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- Writing of Scholarly Research Paper
- Presentation of Scholarly Research Paper
- Thomson One Certificate Achievement
- EIKON Certificate Achievement
- Datastream Certificate Achievement
- Professional Software Skills
- Volunteer Work for University and School Projects and Events
- In-Company Project
- Field Trip/Company visit
- Career Development Activities
- Graduate Work Placement
- SAP TERP10
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for roles such as data or information analyst, technical consultant, IT-related project manager and customer relationship management (CRM) analyst. Employment opportunities exist in every sector of the economy, particularly within the fast-growing service industries of finance, retail, marketing, and information technology.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in accounting, economics, management, finance, marketing, science or engineering. Prior knowledge of econometrics is desirable, but not essential.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
Students learn managerial skills and cutting-edge technologies used in big data management and data analysis and apply them to answer diverse challenges in the business world. It is designed for students with an undergraduate degree in economics, management, statistics or related fields.Gergely Horvath Programme Director
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.