- Advanced corporate finance
- Advanced investments
- Advanced derivatives
- Financial economics (optional)
- Accouting and Financial Management (optional)
- Money and banking
- Time series analysis
- Alternative investments and strategies (optional)
- Macroeconomic theory (optional)
- Finance dissertation
The MSc Finance programme is research-oriented, with emphasis on providing you with the tools to solve the practical financial problems that will create value for companies and enable societies to evolve.
You will gain wide theoretical knowledge in both corporate finance and asset pricing as well as the quantitative skills that will allow you to conduct research and analyse real-world problems. The study of financial economics and banking will allow you to excel in both the finance and economics fields. Contemporary topics are integrated throughout the programme in order to better understand human behaviour in financial markets.
Throughout the programme, traditional academic modules alternate with research seminars, discussions with academic staff and visiting researchers, and meetings with representatives from the financial markets. This ensures an integrated and concrete learning environment with strong connections to the real world.
The programme is a perfect fit for individuals looking to enhance theoretical knowledge, quantitative and analytical skills and improve career opportunities in finance. It makes use of cutting-edge textbooks and the latest research and materials published in the field.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Why should I study Finance at XJTLU?
- You will have the opportunity to apply for teaching and research assistantships within International Business School Suzhou and across the University during your studies.
- You will listen to and meet high-profile people from the management world as well as attend networking events with local employers and events organised by recruiting organisations on campus.
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Finance programme will equip you with:
- comprehensive knowledge of contemporary financial and economic theories and their application to the challenges that organisations face today
- the research skills and quantitative analysis techniques required to evaluate and interpret complex data and research literature in the fields of finance and financial management
- academic knowledge and skills, as well as ‘softer’ business skills that employers value, such as emotional intelligence, creative thinking and high-impact communication
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The additional learning activities on MSc Finance include:
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Personal and Employability Skills
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese Language
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- Graduate Research Assistantship
- Independent Study with an IBSS Tutor
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- Writing of Scholarly Research Paper
- Presentation of Scholarly Research Paper
- Thomson One Certificate Achievement
- EIKON Certificate Achievement
- Datastream Certificate Achievement
- Professional Software Skills
- Volunteer Work for University and School Projects and Events
- Field Trip/Company visit
- Career Development Activities
- Graduate Work Placement
- PhD course 1: Time Series Analytics
- PhD course 2: Asset Pricing Analytics
- PhD course 3: Empirical Data Analytics
The MSc Finance programme is designed to support career entry and development in finance-related roles within world financial markets, multinational corporations, investment banks, asset management companies, banks, non-financial companies, government agencies and consultancies, as well as in other financial institutions. It also prepares students for doctoral studies and an academic career.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2018....
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering and some understanding of quantitative methods, statistics or econometrics.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.