The MSc Operations and Supply Chain Management programme gives you a comprehensive understanding of operations and supply chain management and how it shapes the sales and profit potential of a business.
Delivered in collaboration with industry and the business community in the Yangtze River Delta region, it is one of the few English-language masters programmes of its kind in China.
Through industry lectures and site visits, you will be able to analyse and examine the latest developments in operations and supply chain best practice. You will graduate with the knowledge and skills to succeed in senior managerial and strategist positions.
The programme is delivered in the International Business School Suzhou (IBSS), one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS). Less than 100 business schools worldwide have both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation.
Why should I study Operations and Supply Chain Management at XJTLU?
- Benefit from XJTLU's strategic location in Suzhou - home to one of the China's largest economies and many Fortune 500 companies
- Get support from IBSS's career development team who engage with national and multinational employers to identify the potential job opportunities for our students and graduates
- Tailor your studies to suit your career ambitions to electives in accounting, project management, operations simulation and marketing management available
- Learn how to identify and apply a range of operations management initiatives and techniques that can inform the development of an operations strategy
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Operations and Supply Chain Management, you will have:
- an understanding of how operations can be managed as a strategic resource the requirements of successful operations and supply chain practice
- the ability to apply the models, processes and tools used to analyse, design and implement operations and supply chain management and logistics solutions
- an understanding of the decisions involved in the selection of suppliers as well as the role and objectives of the purchasing function
- a thorough understanding of the components of supply chains, the material and information flow interactions between them and the analytical and management processes that facilitate successful supply chain performance
- the skills to perform benchmarking using comparative performance techniques
- a critical awareness of current research in business and management through independent analysis of a relevant business case.
The programme has helped me understand how effective and efficient supply chain management is essential to creating a lasting competitive advantage.Rebecca Hubler Student, MSc Operations and Supply Chain Management, Austria
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Available additional learning activities include:
- Research methods
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese language
- Project management
- Operations modelling and simulation
- In-company project
- Thompson One Certificate achievement
- EIKON Certificate achievement
- Datastream Certificate achievement
- Teaching assistant
- Research assistant
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for careers in a number of sectors including manufacturing, food and beverage, and pharmaceuticals. Our graduates have found employment in companies such as Jaguar, Bosch, Mondeleze, Accenture, Caterpillar, Daimler Chrysler, Deloitte Consultants, Ford Motor Company, GE, Maersk, Unilever, Unipart, Westinghouse and Cargill.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in any discipline.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
Dr Ismail joined International Business School Suzhou as professor of operations and supply chain management in 2014 from the University of Liverpool. Before joining IBSS he was an associate professor at the University of Liverpool and, for 13 years, director of the Agility and Supply Chain Management Centre, a research and business support centre based at the University of Liverpool Management School. His research interests include how organisations develop operational and strategic agility and the use of simulation and modelling tools for the optimisation of operations.Dr Hossam S Ismail Professor of operations and supply chain management, Programme director, MSc in Operations and Supply Chain Management, Director of the Operations and Supply Chain Excellence Research Institute (OSCE)
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to email@example.com(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.