- Ph.D. , University of Massachusetts, Amherst - 1990
- Other , Université de Paris IV, Sorbonne - 1986
- M.A. , University of Michigan, Ann Arbor - 1985
- Other , Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen, - 1984
- B.A. , Eberhardt-Karls-Universität Tübingen, - 1983
- Other , University of Western Oregon, - 1983
- Programme Director, Communication Studies, Xi'an Jiaotong Liverpool University - 2013 to Present
- Adjunct Professor, Konrad Adenauer Center for Asian Journalism, Manila Graduate School - 2009 to 2013
- Associate Professor, Department of Communication and Media Studies, University of Nicosia - 2008 to 2013
- Associate Professor, Founding Dean of Communication, Acting Dean of English Language and Literature, New York University, Skopje, 2005-2007
- Media Theory
- Digital Ethics
- Television Studies
- Visual and Intercultural Communication
- Digital Sociology
- Citizen Media Overall, these research interests can be broadly defined as visual multimedia narrative research with a particular emphasis on post-colonial studies, visual participation, and the impact of the digital age on community practices. Influenced by the cultural theories of Adorno, Derrida, Castells, Benjamin, Kittler, Singer, Geertz, Hall, Portelli, Appandurai, Belting, Mitchell and others, nuch of the work consists in analysing the political and technological history of visual narrative and citizen media production in Europe and Asia, the translation and transformation of cultural artefacts, such as graffiti and graphic novels and the creation of mediated post-colonial public spheres. As a consequence, most of this research is inter-disciplinary and comparative in character.
- "The Dilemma between the Revitalization of Culture and Globalisation." IAFOR Journal of Cultural Studies, 1.2, 2016: 78-94 (with Leo Yuan).
- "The uses of Oral History in Cyprus and Borneo: Memory and Identity." Теоретическая и Прикладная Лингвистика 2.3 (2016): 15-32. http://www.amursu.ru/lingua/images/volume/2016/3/02-Holger_Briel- site.pdf. Doi: 10.22250/2410-7190_2016_2_3_15_32
- "Media And Participation: A Site Of Ideological-Democratic Struggle." African Journalism Studies 2016 (Routledge). Doi: 10.1080/23743670.2016.1219406.
- "Living and Working in the Digital Age" (with Pinky Goswami) in: Bhaska Chatterjee et al. (eds). Resolution to Resolve: Sustainability Practices in Industry and Education. London: Bloomsbury, 2018: 16-24.
- "Back to the Roots of Manga and Anime. Frenchy Lunning's Mechademia 9. Origins." Review Article in: Extrapolation, 57,2 (Fall), 2017.
- Briel, Holger 2013 'The Foreign Front: Foreign Students and the West German Protest Movement', Journal of Contemporary European Studies, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2013 'The Uses of Oral History in Cyprus: Ethics, Memory and Identity', Language and International Communication, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2013 'Divided we write: Uwe Tellkamp's Der Turm (2008) and Nora Nadjarian's Ledra Street (2006)', Journal of Arts and Humanities, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2012 'The Nasty Girl: Comedy, Local Knowledge and Revisions of the Shoah Revisited', International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2012 'Native Americans in the films of the GDR and Czechoslovakia', European Journal of American Culture, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2012 'Permutations of Theory. Public Access Channels then and now', KOME, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2012 'Education and Cultural Citizenship', Language and Intercultural Communication, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2012 'The drawn-out Diaspora – Manga on the Shores of the Other', International Journal of Comic Art, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2010 'Richard T. Gray's Money Matters. Economics and the German Cultural Imagination', Journal of Contemporary European Studies, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2009 'Business Cultures between West and East', Occasional papers of the India Institute of Learning and Management, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2009 'Neger heißt nicht bloß schwarz', Germanistik, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2009 'Reflections on the Practice of Cultural and Media Studies', International Journal of the Humanities, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2009 'The Trouble with (Cultural) Walls. Do they Enhance Security?', International Security Forum, vol. , no. , p.
- Briel, Holger 2008 'The Languages of Civil Society', Journal of Contemporary European Studies, vol. , no. , p. 152-153
- Briel, Holger 2008 'Theorie der Populärkultur', Germanistik, vol. , no. , p. 177-8
- Briel, Holger 2006 'Germany in Europe', Journal of Contemporary European Studies, vol. , no. , p. 119-121
- Briel, Holger 1992 'Derridas Glas: A New Hegel?', Weimarer Beiträge, vol. , no. , p. 485-505
- "The Techno-Social Impact of Co-living in the Digital Age. CRME Proceedings, 2018.
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- VisionBytes - Intercultural Vision in the 21st Century, forthcoming, 2019.
- Briel, Holger 2014 The Cultures of Oral History: New Media, Post-Colonialism, Memory and Narrative, University of Nicosia Press,
- Briel, Holger 2009 Glocalisation: Electronic Media in South Eastern Europe, Blesok, Skopje
- Briel, Holger 2005 Field Studies. Research in Cultural Studies, Lang, Bern
- Briel, Holger 2002 Culture and Society: A Glossary, Arnold, London
- Briel, Holger 2001 In Practice: Adorno, Critical Theory and Cultural Studies, Lang, Bern
- Briel, Holger 1993 Adorno und Derrida, oder Wo Liegt das Ende der Moderne? (Adorno and Derrida, or Where Lies the End of Modernity?), Lang, Berne/New York
Chapters, cases, readings and supplements
- Briel, Holger 2012, 'Digital Literatures – 25 years on' in (eds) State of the Art – Literature in the 21st Century, Elke Sturm-Trigonakis, pp. 212-231
- Briel, Holger 2012, 'Blogging and On-line subjectivities' in (eds) The Psychology and Politics of the Collective, Ruth Parker-Gounelas (ed.)., pp. 168-182
- Briel, Holger 2010, 'The Roving Eye Meets Travelling Pictures: The Field of Vision and the Global Rise of Adult Manga' in (eds) Comics as Nexus of Culture, Beringer, Mark, pp. 187-211
- Briel, Holger 2009, 'Kurt Landau' in (eds) The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest, Immanuel Ness, pp.
- Briel, Holger 2009, 'Culture and the Will to Media' in (eds) Glocalisation, Briel, Holger, pp. 13-27
- Briel, Holger 2009, 'Club Visuals as Liminal Art' in (eds) Visual Literacies, Fitzsimmons, Phil, pp.
- Briel, Holger 2009, 'Erotics in Manga and Anime' in (eds) Ga-netchû! The Manga / Anime Syndrom, : Deutsches Filminstitut/Deutsches Filmmuseum, pp. 166-176
- Briel, Holger 2007, 'Television and New Media –Europe' in (eds) Greenwood Encyclopaedia of World Cultures, Bayer, Gerd, pp. 50
- Briel, Holger 2005, 'Virtual Communities: Public Access TV as Mediation between Individuals and the State' in (eds) Field Studies, Briel, Holger, pp. 217-228
- Briel, Holger 2002, 'Interaction with German Media Futures' in (eds) Culture and Society, Briel, pp. 164-184
- Briel, Holger 2001, 'Humor im Angesicht der Absurdität' in (eds) Jahre Gesamtdeutsche Literatur, Fischer, Gerhard, pp. 65-89
- Briel, Holger 1998, 'New Media in German Studies' in (eds) German Studies. Old and New Challenges, Lutzeier, Peter, pp. 57-74
- Briel, Holger 1998, 'Media of Mass Communication: The Press, Radio and Television' in (eds) The Cambridge Companion to Modern German Culture., Van der Will, Wilfried and Eva Kolinsky, pp. 322-337
- Briel, Holger 1996, 'The Teratology of the Tetralogy, or Günter Grass walks the line once again' in (eds) Identity and Culture, Stern-Gilbert, Suzanne et al, pp. 67-77
- "Co-living and Co-working in the Digital World. Where to, Millennials?" PRME, Delhi, 16 February 2018
- "Mainzelmännchen: Not just your Average Cartoon" Spotlight Address, Asian Cultural Studies Conference, Art Center of Kobe, May 2017
- "Oral History Basics in a Russian - Chinese Context". May, 20-21, 2016, Blagoveshchensk.
- "Oral history on Borneo II" 10 February 2015, Tanjungpura University, Pontianak.
- "Oral history on Borneo I" 20-21 January 2014, Tanjungpura University, Pontianak.; 3 February 2014 Swinburne University, Kuching.
- “Visual Imagery research and application for media practitioners.” University of Pavia, 23-24 November 2012.
- “Oral History, Literature and Visual Media.” Institute of Occidental Studies, National University of Malaysia, 8-23 December 2011.
- 2009-2010, COMPARISONS / Trans-cultural Memories: The case of Cyprus
- 2009-2010, International Comparative Literature Association Conference / Electronic Media and Writing: the Case of Daniel Glattauer's Gut gegen Nordwind
- 2010-2011, 63rd WORLD CONGRESS OF SCIENCE FICTION / Media and German Science Fiction of the 1950s
- 2010-2011, 2nd VIDUCATE Conference / Public Access Media Cultures. Taking stock ten years on
- 2010-2011, Media and Art: Fluxus – Post – Fluxus / Media and Art: Fluxus – Post – Fluxus
- 2010-2011, 3 EUROMED conference / Business and culture: the need to re-evaluate their relationship
- 2010-2011, PRIO conference / The Media of Eastern Mediterranean Memory Formation
- 2009-2010, Sidestreets Cultural Foundation / Humour across cultures. The Case of Dinner for one
- 2011-2012, 2ND ART AND SOCIAL JUSTICE CONFERENCE / The Nostalgia of Ownership in the Age of Digital Reproduction
- 2011-2012, University of Nicosia / Arts and Media for Social Justice
- 2011-2012, University of Nicosia / Formation of Self/Local Representation through Multimedia Production
- 2011-2012, United Nations Conference / Collaboration in Media: Sharing Experiences
- 2011-2012, University of Nicosia Research Forum / Death and Rebirth of Media
- 2011-2012, Ministry of Education / Using Internet Tools in Area Studies teaching
- 2011-2012, INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SEMIOTIC AND VISUAL COMMUNICATION / The Graphic Novel Today: Intercultural implications for a globalised market
- 2011-2012, Oral History Research Conference / Oral History as Literature Across Borders in Cyprus
- 2011-2012, CARDET / Visual Thinking, Visual Learning
- 2011-2012, University of Pavia / Creating an on-line kit for social video production
- 2011-2012, GSAA Conference / Collaborative media and narratology: Recent E-mail novels
- 2012-2013, DC School of Management / Challenges to International Business Communication – The Case of India
- 2012-2013, COMMUNITY MEDIA CONFERENCE / The Ethics of Oral History Projects
- 2012-2013, INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF EUROPEAN IDEAS / The Digital and the Visual – New Challenges for Literature
- 2011-2012, IAMCR 2012 / Narratives of the Real - A Comparative Approach between East and West
- 2012-2013, New Media and The Public Sphere / New Media, Liquid Politics and the Occupy Movement: The Case of Occupy Buffer Zone (OBZ)
- 2012-2013, University of Pavia / Visual Imagery research and application for media practitioners
- 2013-2014, The Management Centre / America's Culture Industry – Hollywood, MTV and individual creativity
- 2013-2014, ICLA / Digital Storytelling: The Narrative Appeal of the Everyperson
- Research grant, Xi'an Jiaotong Liverpool University. Project: Interstitial Television Programming in Europe 2018-19
- Grant from IILM, Delhi for workshop delivery on HRM, February 2018
- Grant from Xi'an Jiaotong Liverpool University/Jiangsu province Social Practice Project - Indigenous Life in the Amur River Basin
- Grant form Amur State University to give a workshop on Oral History Projects and Media Technologies,
- Grant from Suzhou Social Science Fund. Community-led Tourism in Suzhou
- Grant from DEFA Foundation and Goethe Institute, Relationships/Begegnungen, DEFA Film Festival Nicosia, October 2012
- Digital Ethics, Media Management, Advertising and Public Relations, Sociology – Theory and Practice, The History of Psychology, Mass Communication, Communication Studies, Introduction to Media Studies, Society and Media, Histories of European Media Studies, Electronic Media, Mass Communication Ethics and Law, Public Opinion and Political Communication, Visual, Literacy, Photojournalism, Intercultural Communication, Facilities Management, Media Management, Media Theory, Global Media Cultures.
- Digital Ethics, Media Management, Advertising and Public Relations, Sociology – Theory and Practice, The History of Psychology, Mass Communication, Communication Studies, Introduction to Media Studies, Society and Media, Histories of European Media Studies, Electronic Media, Mass Communication Ethics and Law, Public Opinion and Political Communication, Visual, Literacy, Photojournalism, Intercultural Communication, Facilities Management, Media Management, Media Theory, Global Media Cultures. • Humanities: All levels of German and English Language, The City, Germany Media and Culture History, Introduction to Philosophy, Post-1945 Ethics, Introduction to Ethics, Multicultural Aesthetics, Comparative Literature, TechnoLit, Introduction to Science Fiction, The European Novel, European Studies, Conflict and Coercion in Film, New York Underground Film, Art and Society, Introduction to Cultural Studies, Research Methods in the Humanities and Social Sciences, Introduction to Literature.
Awards and honours
- External Examiner, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK.
- Founding member, The Cyprus Foreign Correspondents Club
- 2017-2019 Reviewer for the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
Telephone+86 (0)512 0512.8816.7122
AddressHS304Humanities and Social Sciences Building South Campus Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool UniversityChongwen Rd Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District Suzhou Industrial Park Suzhou P. R. China 215123
Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District
Suzhou Industrial Park