- International Management and Global Institutions
- Regional Integration and Globalisation
- International Business
- Global Transformations and Crises
- Transnational Corporations and Global Challenges
- China in the World
- Doing Business with Chinese Companies and Consumers
- Research Methods for International Business
Designed for students without any prior educational background in business or management, and taught by leading authorities in their field, the Master of Arts (MA) in International Business and Global Affairs aims to develop current and future managers and potential business leaders who are able to work successfully in a world increasingly characterised by uncertainty, volatility and change.
This innovative programme is designed to equip students with the knowledge, understanding, leadership abilities, analysis skills, decision-making tools and strategic vision needed to effectively manage people, organisations and business dealings across national borders in an increasingly risky, complex and challenging world.
Why should I study International Business and Global Affairs at XJTLU?
- Learn about global economic, political and governance issues, and how they affect the environment and prospects for trade and investment across countries and regions;
- Gain a global mindset by studying at both the Department of International Relations, and at the AACSB- and EQUIS-accredited International Business School Suzhou (IBSS);
- Experience the opportunity to learn or improve your language skills in Chinese or Spanish;
- Highly-experienced academic staff with wide variety of international backgrounds;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
- Start date
- Department International Relations
- Attendance Part time
- Duration 30 months
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MA in International Business and Global Affairs, you will:
- understand the theories, debates and contemporary challenges within key thematic domains of international relations, such as regional integration, global security and peace studies, and global transformations and crises;
- improve your decision-making by better understanding business challenges in cross-border trade, investment, political risks, biodiversity loss, resources depletion, environmental degradation, climate change, food insecurity, economic development, social injustice, international mass migration, and globalisation;
- be equipped with the knowledge, understanding, leadership abilities, analysis skills, decision-making tools and strategic vision needed to effectively manage people, organisations and business;
- evaluate different interpretations of world political events and global humanitarian challenges.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared to start or advance their career across a variety of fields. These include: multinational and trading companies, non-profit organisations, consultancies, service providers, business facilitators, and government agencies around the world who are looking to recruit graduates with knowledge and experience of contemporary international business and management.
RMB 105,000 for the entire 30 month part-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
Bachelor Degree ( UK 2:1 or equivalent) in international relations or business and management, or cognate subjects of the two.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
Our programme is designed to develop current and future managers and potential business leaders who have a global mind-set and who can apply their critical understanding of global political and economic developments to comfortably lead international investment and business in a world increasingly characterized by uncertainty, volatility, and change.Adam Cross Programme Director
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to email@example.com(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
This programme is subject to final validation from the University of Liverpool, and awaiting official recognition from the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China.