UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
The BEng Architectural Engineering programme is specifically designed to produce architectural engineers with sound knowledge, problem-solving skills, and a comprehensive understanding of the multidisciplinary aspects of building. The principles and precision of civil, structural, and building services engineering as well as the creativity of architecture are combined in this unique programme.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU undergraduate programmes, earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
Why should I study Architectural Engineering at XJTLU?
- The programme is accredited by Joint Board of Moderators (JBM), UK which enables you to become a world recognised chartered engineer
- It is intended to bring together the creativity of building design and the precision of engineering analysis to give a well-rounded education
- Explore the form and appearance of buildings, their environmental, social, and economic impact, as well as their analysis, design and construction considering current business and commercial practices
- Prepares students for working with professional judgement and applications in multidisciplinary teams by utilising the variety of professions represented within both the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Architecture
- Most of our graduates go on to further study at the world's top universities in countries such as the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands
- Highly dedicated international academic staff will provide you with an outstanding learning experience and full support throughout your academic career at XJTLU
- Modules incorporate active learning activities such as site visits, field work, lab experiments, computer analysis, and also the use of technology-enhanced learning methods
- Opportunities to work with academic staff on current research projects as research support students and contribute to potential research publications.
BEng (Hons) Accredited CEng (Partial)
This degree is accredited as:
1. fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
2. partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
See www.jbm.org.uk for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng.
Knowledge and skills
Upon graduation, you will have:
- gained a sound knowledge and understanding of architectural studies, building services engineering, construction project management and cost estimation, building information modelling and core civil engineering subjects such as structures, hydraulics, geotechnics and materials
- acquired problem-solving skills and practical knowledge of the key aspects of civil engineering and architectural design practices
- completed a building design and construction project that combines professional elements of both civil engineering and architecture
- mastered the principles of project management, allocated project resources effectively and applied modern construction practices
- applied a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques in resolving architectural engineering problems.
You will take fundamental modules that are essential for all civil and architectural engineers and for higher level studies: mathematics, basic structures, materials, fluids, surveying, and management. In addition, three modules from the department of Architecture are integrated to introduce students to the basics of architectural design.
Year three will enhance your knowledge in building design and construction projects. You will be offered modules related to structural analysis and design, construction materials and methods, soil mechanics, and project management. In addition, aspects of buildings that are specific to architectural engineers will be taught: building topology and building services engineering.
- Construction methods
- Engineering structures
- Reinforced concrete and steelwork
- Building typology in integrated architectural design
- Numerical methods
- Civil engineering project management
- Construction materials
- Basic soil mechanics
- Structural behaviour and modelling
- Building services engineering
- Architectural engineering project.
In the final year, you will learn more about advanced analysis and design related theory together with real world practical examples. You will be offered modules related to structural design on steel, timber and masonry, foundations, earthquakes, and construction management. The capstone design project will guide you to design a large scale structure. More subjects related to architectural engineering will be introduced, such as cost control and estimation, and building information modelling (BIM). In addition, you will undertake an individual research project of an investigative nature across two semesters of year four.
BEng Architectural Engineering graduates will have a firm grounding in architectural engineering and will be equipped to take up professional employment in the construction industry and consultancy sectors as well as becoming lifelong learners and globally competitive citizens. The programme also provides a sound basis for further graduate study in architecture, civil and structural engineering, construction management and engineering or related fields. Architectural engineers mainly work as structural engineers, project managers, consulting engineers, BIM engineers, cost estimators, building envelope designers, and researchers.
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All international students who accept their offer by 1 May 2019 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Join a free Chinese language course
We now offer a free summer Chinese language course for all undergraduate and postgraduate students starting their degree in September 2019.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Early bird discount
All Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who accept their offer by 1 May 2019 will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students who apply to XJTLU through the Joint Entrance Examination on the governmental online application system (Education Examination Authority of Guangdong Province) will automatically qualify for a RMB 8,000 early bird discount.
Mainland Chinese students
RMB 88,000 per academic year
Please visit the entry requirements page for the comprehensive list of qualifications required to study at XJTLU.
A project to build cardboard bridges taught us about users’ needs and interests, which will affect how we approach our work as architectural engineers. We came to fully understand, for the first time, that in our future careers what our clients need will be a frequently asked question.Zhaohui Yang Student, BEng Architectural Engineering, China
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.