- PhD in Sociology. The Australian National Univeristy
- MPhil in Sociology. University of Oxford
- BA in Sociology. Wuhan University
- Head, Department of China Studies, XJTLU - 2017 to present
- Deputy Head, Department of China Studies, XJTLU-2015-2017
- Senior Associate Professor, Department of China Studies, XJTLU - 2018 to present
- Associate Professor, Department of China Studies, XJTLU - 2016 to 2018
- Lecturer, Department of China Studies, XJTLU - 2015 to 2016
- Postdoctoral/Research Fellow, Australian National University - 2011 to 2015
- Research Assistant, Department of Political and Social Change, Australian National University - 2009 to 2010
- Social class, social stratification and mobility in contemporary China
- Neighborhood governance and state-society relations in China
- Urbanization in China
- Deliberative democracy
- Social science research methods
- Tang, Beibei. Forthcoming. 'Grid Governance in China’s Urban Middle-Class Neighborhoods', The China Quarterly.
- Tang, Beibei. 2019. 'Intermediary Governance Space in Relocation Neighbourhoods', China Perspectives, 2019/2, pp.57-65.
- Tang,Beibei. 2019. 'Espaces de gouvernance intermédiaire dans les quartiers de relogement', Perspectives chinoises, 2019/2, pp.61-69.
- Tang, Beibei. 2018. 'Deliberation and Governance in Chinese Middle-Class Neighoburhoods', Japanese Journal of Political Science, vol. 19, pp.663-677.
- Tang, Beibei. 2018. 'Neighborhood Aged Care and Local Governance in Urban China', The China Journal, vol. 79, pp. 84-99.
- Tang, Beibei. 2015. 'Not Rural but Not Urban: Community Governance in Urbanized Villages', The China Quarterly, vol. 223, pp. 724-744. 2015 Gordon White Prize winner.
- Tang, Beibei. 2015. 'The Discursive Turn: Deliberative Governance in China's Urbanized Villages', Journal of Contemporary China, vol. 91, pp. 137-157.
- Tang, Beibei. 2015. 'Deliberating Governance in Chinese Urban Communities', The China Journal, vol. 73, pp. 84-107.
- Tang, Beibei. 2014. 'Development and Prospects of Deliberative Democracy in China: The Dimensions of Deliberative Capacity Building', Journal of Chinese Political Science, vol. 19, pp. 115-132.
- Tang, Beibei & Dryzek, John. 2014. 'The Continuing Search for Deliberation and Participation in China', Journal of Chinese Political Science, vol. 19, pp. 109-114.
- Tang, Beibei, Luigi Tomba, and Werner Breitung. 2011. "The work-unit is dead. Long Live the work-unit! Spatial segregation and privilege in a work-unit housing compound in Guangzhou." Geographische Zeitschrift 99:36-49.
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- Tang, Beibei and Paul Cheung ed. Suzhou in Transition. Routledge, forthcoming 2020. (accepted in August 2019)
- Tang, Beibei. 2018. China’s Housing Middle Class: Changing Urban Life in Gated Communities. Routledge.
Chapters, cases, readings and supplements
- Tang, Beibei. Forthcoming 2020. “Wujiang in Transition.” in Suzhou in Transition, edited by Beibei Tang and Paul Cheung. Routledge. (accepted in August 2019)
- Tang, Beibei, Testuki Tamura, and Baogang He. 2018. “Deliberative Democracy in East Asia.” Chapter 50, pp.791-804 in The Oxford Handbook of Deliberative Democracy, edited by Andre Bachtiger, John Dryzek, Jane Mansbridge and Mark Warren. Oxford University Press.
- Tang, Beibei and John S Dryzek ed. 2014. “Special Issue: Deliberation and Participation in China.” Journal of Chinese Political Science 19.
- Tang, Beibei. 2013. "China’s Urban Housing Status Groups: Consumption, Lifestyles and Identity." Pp. 54-74 in Middle Class China, edited by D. S. G. Goodman and M. Chen. London: Edward Elgar.
- Tang, Beibei and Jonathan Unger. 2013. "The Socio-economic Status, Cooptation and Political Conservatism of China’s Educated Middle Class: a case study of university teachers." Pp. 90-109 in Middle Class China, edited by D. S. G. Goodman and M. Chen. London: Edward Elgar.
- Tang, Beibei and Luigi Tomba. 2012. "The Great Divide: Institutionalized Inequality in Market Socialism." Pp. 91-110 in Unequal China, edited by Wanning Sun and Yingjie Guo: Routledge.
- Tang, Beibei. 2012. "Social Housing Landlords: China’s Institutional Model." Pp. 432-437 in International Encyclopedia of Housing and Home, vol. 6, edited by S. J. Smith, M. Elsinga, L. F. O'Mahony, O. S. Eng, and S. Wachter. Oxford: Elsevier: Elsevier.
- Tang, Beibei. 2011. "Change and Continuity of China's Urban Workforce: Recent trends." Pp. 71-92 in China's Changing Workplace: Dynamism, diversity and disparity, edited by P. Sheldon, S. Kim, Y. Li, and M. Warner: Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Tomba, Luigi and Beibei Tang. 2008. "The Forest City: homeownership and new wealth in Shenyang." Pp. 171- 186 in The New Rich in China: future rulers, present lives, edited by D. S. G. Goodman: Routledge.
- Urbanization and New Urban Class Formation in China, paper presented at AAS-in-Asia 2019 Conference, Bangkok. July 2019.
- Deliberating Governance in Chinese Middle-Class Neighbourhoods, paper presented at International Conference of Public Policy, Singapore. June 2017.
- Urbanization and Governance in Relocated Communities, paper presented at AAS-in-Asia 2017 Conference, Seoul. June 2017.
- Governance and Labor Conflict Resolutions in China: A Deliberative Perspective, paper presented at Workshop of Social Conflict, University of Vienna, May 2017.
- Neighbourhood Aged Care in Urban China, paper presented at Conference for Caring for Elderly in Asia, ARI, NUS, Singapore, March 2016.
- Deliberation and Governance in Chinese Urban Communities, paper presented at American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, August 2013.
- Village Cooperatives and Community Life in Urbanized Village in China, paper presented at Conference for Urbanization of Rural China, Diqing, China, July 2012.
- Deliberative Governance and Citizen Participation in Post-reform China, paper presented at Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference, Toronto, February 2012
- The Paradox of Self-identity and Self-governance among Gated Community Residents in Urban China, paper presented at American Sociological Association Annual Conference, San Francisco, August 2009.
- Sponsored Mobility and Education Attainment: An Explanatory Model of Social Mobility, paper presented at The Australian Sociological Association Annual Conference, University of Melbourne, December 2008.
- China’s New Housing Class: Emergence and Identity, paper presented at The Fourth Annual Graduate Seminar on China, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, January 2008.
- 2019-2021. 2019 Jiangsu Philosophy and Social Science Research Funding Program. Project title: Women's Political Participation in Rural China. Member.
- Research Development Fund (RDF 18-01-31), XJTLU, Co-PI (20%). Project Title: Governance in Light of the “New Citizenship” Campaign in China .
- Research Development Fund (RDF16-01-58), XJTLU. Co-PI (25%). Project Title: Suzhou’s Tiger Hill Wedding Street: Modernity, Material Culture, and Bridal Fashion.
- Research Development Fund (RDF15-01-17), XJTLU. PI (100%). Project Title: Neighbourhood Aged Care, Civil Society and Local Governance in China.
- CCS405 Chinese Society
- CCS104 China: Society and Development
- CCS001 Introduction to Social Sciences
- CCS901 Understanding China
- Humanities and Social Science Learning Practices
Awards and honours
- 2015 Gordon White Prize (The China Quarterly).
Telephone+86 (0)512 8188 3247
Department of China Studies
HS Building, South Campus
Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Chongwen Road
Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District
Suzhou Industrial Park