- Ph.D., Economics George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, 2012
- MA, Economics George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, 2010
- DD, Mathematical and Statistical Analysis of Social Phenomena University “La Sapienza,” Rome, Italy, 2007
- MSc, Public Investments Evaluation Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy, 2005
- BSc, Political Science (cum laude) LUISS, Rome, Italy, 2001
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR 2/2019- Present Department of Economics International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) Xi’an Jiaotong - Liverpool University (XJTLU), Suzhou, China
- EXTERNAL FELLOW 9/2018 - Present Center for Health Economics (CHE) The University of Nottingham at Ningbo China (UNCC)
- VISITING SCHOLAR (SHORT-TERM) 7/2017 Department of Health Policy London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK
- ASSOCIATE (NON-TENURED) PROFESSOR 6/2017- 12/2018 School of Public Economics and Administration (SPEA) Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE), Shanghai, China
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR 8/2013 – 5/2017 School of Public Economics and Administration (SPEA) Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE), Shanghai, China
- MADISON POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW 8/2012 – 5/2013 West Virginia University (WVU), Morgantown, WV, USA
- GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT 8/2010 – 5/2012 George Mason University (GMU), Fairfax, VA, USA
- ITALIAN INSTITUTE OF STATISTICS (ISTAT) 9/2005 – 12/2006 Central Direction for Economic and Structural Statistics; Service for Private and Public Institutions Collaborated on two Italian country-wide level survey projects to evaluate the demand of the workforce of Italian local public institutions (municipalities). Managed outlining of a conceptual framework for the survey stage and cooperated in conducting statistical surveys and management of the data collection process.
- MINISTRY OF ECONOMY AND FINANCE (MEF) 7/2002 – 12/2005 Consultant, Department for Development and Cohesion Policies (DPS); Public Investment Evaluation Unit (UVAL) The Regional Public Accounts (RPA) database is a crucial instrument for programming the utilization of the European Structural Funds. I was involved in the development of the database for the regionalization of public spending. I oversaw the data collection and conversion from budget balances of National Public Enterprises, a key component of the RPA Universe. Part of my duties was also maintaining contact with the network of the 20 regional administrations
- Public Economics, Health Economics, Political Economy
- *f = first author; c = corresponding author.
- “Do Economic Recessions Squeeze the Middle Class?” (with Joan Costa-Font, LSE). CESifo Working Paper No. 6673 (September 2017). LIS working papers series - No. 757 (January 2019). Status: ACCEPTED: Economics & Politics. (f&c)
- “Budgetary Decisions, Social Capital and Mayor Re-elections: Evidence across Italian Municipalities“(with Andrea Filippetti, LSE, and CNR; Luca Andriani, Birbeck College, UK). The previous version appeared with the title Social Capital and Government Performance. The Role of Local Re-elections across Italian Municipalities”. Media coverage (in Italian) from “La Voce.” https://www.lavoce.info/archives/47362/ce-capitale-sociale-dietro-la-rielezione-del-buon-sindaco/. Status: ACCEPTED: Kyklos.
- “On the codetermination of tax-financed medical R&D and healthcare expenditures: Models and evidence.” (with Roger Congleton); European Journal of Political Economy, 54 (2018): 175-188.
- “The Electoral Politics and the Evolution of Complex Healthcare Systems.” (with R.D. Congleton and R. Pietrantonio); Kyklos, Vol.70 (2017): 483–510. (selected as leading article of the issue)
- “NIH Biomedical Funding: Evidence of Executive Dominance in Swing-Voter States during Presidential Elections.” Public Choice, Vol.168.3-4 (2016): pp.239–263.
- “Teaching Mathematical Economics Using Public Choice: The Median Voter Model.” Journal of Economics and Finance Education, Vol.14.2: (2015): pp. 50-65
- “On Medical Progress and Health Care Demand: A CES Perspective Using the Grossman Model of Health Status.” Health Economics, 24-12: (2015): pp. 1632–1637.
- “Distributional and Encompassing Coalitions in the Olsonian Theory of Interest Groups: A Strategy-Shift Effect Analysis." Journal of Public Finance and Public Choice vol. 26, nos. 2 and 3, 2008 (2011).
- ------------------------------------------------------------ARTICLES UNDER REVIEW---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- (2018) “An Electoral Model of Political Dynasties” (with Bingyong Zheng (f&c), SUFE-SOE; Sam Ghosh, SUFE-SOE; Quan Wen, UWash). Status: Under review.
- (2018) “Voting Up? The Effects of Voting Rights Extension on and Human Stature” with Joan Costa-Font (LSE), and Timothy J. Hatton (UEssex). Status: Under review.
- ------------------------------------------------------------WORKING PAPERS---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- (2019) “Anti-corruption and Investment. Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment in China.” with Bingyong Zheng (SUFE-SOE) and Yen Teik Lee (Asia School of Business).
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- “The Political Economy of Healthcare.” (with Joan Costa-Font & Gilberto Turati). Cambridge University Press (Expected Publication: late 2019).
- “Public Choice and the Modern Welfare State.” (with R. Congleton, F. Bose, Y. Kim, and R. Pietrantonio) in Shughart, W. F., L. Razzolini and M. Reksulak (Eds.) Elgar Companion to Public Choice, Edward Elgar Publishers, Ltd. (2013).
- § Paper: “The Electoral Politics of Subsidized Medical Technology” (with Roger Congleton, WVU). Australasian Public Choice Society Annual Meeting, Monash University (December 2014). Second Annual Xiamen University International Workshop on Economic Analysis of Institutions (May 2014). European Public Choice Society, Cambridge (March 2014).
- Paper: “Why Does Social Capital Increase Government Performance? The Role of Local Elections across Italian Municipalities” with Luca Andriani (Birkbeck) and Andrea Filippetti (ITA-CNR). Presented: European Political Science Association, Vienna (June 2015).
- § Paper: “NIH Biomedical Funding: Evidence of Executive Dominance in Swing-Voter States during Presidential Elections.” Invited seminar at Duke-Kunshan University, Kunshan (September 2016). Fourth International Workshop on Economic Analysis of Institutions, Xiamen University (May 2016). Fifteen China Youth Economists’ Forum, Xiamen (December 2014). Australasian Public Choice Society Annual Meeting, Singapore (December 2013). Invited Seminar at Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, School of Economics (December 2013).
- Paper: “Trumping Political Dynasties” with Som Ghosh (SOE-SUFE), Bingyong Zheng (SUFE-SOE), and Quan Wen (UWash). Invited Seminars at the School of Economics* (May 2017), Fudan University School of Economics September (2016); Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Economics, Shanghai. (September 2016). European Political Science Association, Bruxelles (June 2016).
- Paper: “Anti-corruption and Investment. Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment in China.” with Bingyong Zheng (SUFE-SOE) and Yen Teik Lee (Curtin, Singapore). Presented: Fifth International Workshop on Economic Analysis of Institutions, Xiamen University (May 2017). Seminar at the School of Economics at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (December 2016, Invited). Australasian Public Choice Society, ANU-Canberra (December 2016). 3rd International Conference on the Chinese Economy: Past, Present, and Future, Tsinghua University, Beijing (December 2016).
- Paper: “Voting Up? The Effects of Voting Rights Extension on and Human Stature” with Joan Costa-Font (LSE), and Timothy J. Hatton (UEssex). Presented: European Public Choice Society at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart in Rome (April 2018). Sixth International Workshop on Economic Analysis of Institutions, Xiamen University (May 2018). 1st GEP-China Workshop on Advances in Economic Research, University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) (May 2018, Invited).
- Italian social capital, local government spending, and local politics (11/2015 – present) Sponsor: School of Public Economics and Administration, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics; Grant: RMB 20,000.
- RMB 90,000 for a three-year research project, Political Economy of Health Care and Subsidized Health Care Technology. Sponsor: School of Public Economics and Administration, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (2013-2016).
- RMB 20,000 for a research project on the Political Economy of Health and Healthcare. Sponsor: School of Public Economics and Administration, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (2017-2018).
- Chinavitae & CSMAR (China Stock Market & Accounting Research) database on Chinese Elites (6/2014 – 10/2015) Sponsor: Institute of Public Finance at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics; Grant: RMB 30,000. Status: Completed.
- Book Project “The Political Economy of Health Care.” Status: Accepted with Cambridge University Press. With Joan Costa-Font (LSE, f&c) and Gilberto Turati (CUSH, Milan).
Professional service activities
- CHINESE ASSOCIATION FOR ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (CAAI) 12/2018 - Present Member (appointed)
- JOURNAL OF PUBLIC FINANCE AND PUBLIC CHOICE Member of the Scientific Committee (appointed) 1/2018 - Present
- ASSOCIAZIONE DEGLI ACCADEMICI ITALIANI IN CINA (AAIIC) ASSOCIATION OF ITALIAN SCHOLARS IN CHINA Vice President and Executive Board Member for the 2018-2020 cycle (elective) 2/2018 - Present
- REFEREE FOR: Journal of Health Economics, China Economic Review, Contemporary Economic Policy, Constitutional Political Economy, Atlantic Economic Journal, Applied Economics, Journal of Public Finance and Public Choice, The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance.
- International Development (Undergraduate) - XJTLU (Spring 2019)
- “The Chinese Economy: an Introduction.” Short two lectures module. Semestre de Management Interculturel (SMI). Shanghai-Fudan session. (February 2019).
- Introductory Public Finance (Undergraduate) - SUFE (Fall 2013 – Spring 2018)
- Intermediate Public Economics (MPA & MPF) - SUFE (Fall 2018)
- Data Analysis and Processing (Undergraduate) - SUFE (Spring 2018)
- Topics in Public Economics (PhD) - SUFE (Spring 2017)
- Statistical Methods for Policy Analysis (Master) - SUFE (Spring 2016)
- Public Choice (Undergraduate) - GMU (Summer 2010, 2011)
- Mathematical Economics (Undergraduate) - GMU (Spring 2010, 2011)
Awards and honours
- Scholarship jointly awarded from Fondazione Einaudi and Istituto Bruno Leoni for essay writing as final accomplishment within the Workshop on Classical Liberal Thought held in Rome (February 5th to June 7th, 2007).
- Scholarship for the Doctorate in Quantitative Analysis of Social Phenomena (2003-2006).
- Three years Scholarship from the Ministry of Education and Research FIRB Funds on Basic Research (2007-2010).
- Bradley Fellowship Award 2007-2008 (renewed 2008-2009, 2009-2010).
- Certificate of Recognition for Distinguished Service to the Italian Studies Community George Mason University (2009).
- George Mason University Graduate Fellowship Award (2010).
- Certificate of appreciation for service and commitment to the international student community at George Mason University (2011).
- Phi Beta Delta, Honor Society for International Scholars at George Mason University (2011).
- Madison Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Political Economy, West Virginia University (2012-2013).
Telephone+86 (0)512 81889034
Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District
Suzhou Industrial Park