“The Future of the University and Substantial Changes”
The Annual Conference for Higher Education Innovation 2016 is a platform from which to explore and promote higher education innovation. Thanks to the impact of economic globalisation, the knowledge economy and subversive information technology, among others, universities, education and teaching and learning are facing substantial transformation.
The aim of this conference is to gather together those interested in higher education reform and innovation, and who are willing to reach consensus upon the value of education innovation, to develop in-depth discussions on approaches to educational reform, exchange experience of reform practices, as well as build collaboration on educational reform. The conference will include a keynote speech, an education forum, teaching workshop and training.
During the conference, the Institute of Leadership and Education Advanced Development at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University will release a handbook on student-centred educational systems as well as the ILEAD Index, which ranks the educational quality of Chinese universities. The Annual Teaching Innovation Award in Higher Education is also presented during the conference in order to encourage innovation in teaching in higher education.
Summary of initiatives
XJTLU Education Forum
The XJTLU Education Forum will focus on the current hot topics being discussed in the higher education community both at home in China and abroad. In doing so it aims to establish a showcase, and an effective means of communication, that endeavors to provide an exploration platform for higher education professionals.
The main topic of "University education: facing the future" will be discussed through a series of seminars and dialogues focused on the sub-topics of student-centred education and learning and teaching innovation. University and departmental representatives, dedicated to learning and teaching reform and innovation, and who have achieved outstanding success, will share their experiences and explore strategies for planning and implementation together with other higher education professionals from education management, learning and teaching development and international education cooperation.
Education Innovation Excellence Programme
The Education Innovation Excellence Programme is a membership programme that aims to unite and gather people who are interested in higher education reform and innovation. The launch ceremony will introduce planning and preparations as well as the founding members.
XJTLU 10th anniversary book
In order to celebrate XJTLU's 10th anniversary, the book “My university, my decision – stories of XJTLU” summarises and shares the exploration and practice of XJTLU's education. The book is for those who want to focus on XJTLU's development and reformation of higher education and will stimulate interest among students, parents and colleagues with its abundant content and distinct theme.
Higher education is undergoing a profound change towards a student-centred system, subverting the popularity of the teacher-centred approach and unifying a knowledge-led education mode. With this background, the student-sentered handbook is published at an historic moment. In it, ILEAD analyses existing problems for domestic Chinese universities and the direction of educational reform, based on in-depth research from XJTLU. ILEAD aims to influence higher educational institutions who are interested in establishing a student-centred educational system and help them design such an approach, as well as providing a system of education strategy and supporting structures with which to achieve their goals.
XJTLU National University Teaching Innovation Award
In order to encourage teaching innovation in universities, the XJTLU National University Teaching Innovation Award recognises teachers who have shown innovation in teaching and who use and spread the concept of student-centred teaching.
ILEAD University Index
In order to respond the revolution of deepening educational reform and improve educational quality, as well as to provide a new model based on analyses of Chinese universities' educational qualities for global higher educational development, each May, ILEAD will release the ILEAD University Index (Educational Quality Ranking of Chinese Universities). The measurable indicator is mainly based on Chinese educational qualities, focusing on the idea of student study and healthy growth to set up the index system. The Index has abandoned the traditional method of evaluation that focuses on quantity and instead utilised large relative databases to make a scientific evaluation and develop a ranking system based on magnanimity document analyses.
Sponsored by the Internationalisation Research Centre of Internationalisation of Higher Education Demonstration Area in the Ministry of Education, with special support from Xi'an Jiaotong University and the University of Liverpool.
Professor Youmin Xi
Executive President of Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, Pro-Vice-Chancellor of University of Liverpool, Professor of Management of Xi'an Jiaotong University. For more information, please see Professor Xi’s profile on our leadership page.
Dongping Yang is member of the National Education Advisory Committee, a member of the National Education Examination Steering Committee, and Professor of Beijing Institute of Technology, Dean of 21st Century Education Research Institute. His main research areas are education public policy, education equality and higher education. For more information please visit Dongping Yang’s profile.
Professor Peigen Li
An expert in mechanical manufacturing and automation, Professor Peigen Li works at Huazhong University of Science and Technology and is an academician of the China Engineering Academy. He is also incumbent vice chairman of the Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, vice chairman of the Higher Education Academy of China, chairman of the mechanical studying commission of teaching instruction in the Ministry of Education of China. He had won second price of National Science and Technology Progress Award once, first and second prize of provincial and ministerial level scientific and technological achievements many times. In 1999, he won "University Leadership Award" issued by US SME / CASA. In 2001, he obtained the "Award for outstanding returned overseas students" jointly issued by the group, Ministry of Education, Science and six other ministries.
Professor Daren Huang
Professor Daren Huang is a mathematics professor. He majored in Mathematics in Zhejiang University from 1962 to 1968 and studied for his mathematics postgraduate at Zhejiang University from 1978 to 1981, remaining there to teach after graduation. Daren Huang worked at the University of South Carolina as a visiting scholar from 1985 to 1986 and has worked as deputy director of the department of mathematics, dean of studies, vice-dean and vice-president at Zhejiang University. Daren Huang moved to be deputy vice-chancellor of Zhongshan University in November 1998, before serving as president from 1999 to 2010. He has been the chair of Guangzhou CAST since July 2013 and a member of the Second Session National Education Advisory Committee since August 2014. Concerned with management in higher education, Daren Huang is the author of “Concept and Practice in University”.
Professor Feng Boqin
Professor Feng Boqin is currently the incumbent vice-chairman of the Association of Fundamental Computing Education in Chinese Universities. He has won the second prize for scientific and technological achievements of the Ministry of Electronics and published 263 papers, including 33 SCI and 121 EI. He has presided over the 'DJS-200 series of community system research' for the Ministry of Electronics, the development of China's "National Criteria of BASIC Conversational Language", and has trained more than 20 PhDs, and hundreds of masters.
Please note that the final agenda will be based on the actual agenda declared on the opening day of the event.
- 19 May, 2 – 7pm, XJTLU International Conference Center
- 20 May, 2 – 7pm, XJTLU International Conference Center
- 21 May, 8 – 9am, hall at north entrance, first floor, XJTLU Central Building.
20 May 2016 (day one)
- 9.00-9.10am: Opening ceremony: Welcome speech and introduction
- 9:10-9:40am: Keynote speech by Professor Youmin Xi. Topic: The image of the future university – opening several windows to watch future higher education
- 9:40-9:50am: Keynote speech by Professor Dongping Yang. Topic: Open education to propel education reform – value of the ‘foreign university’
- 9:50-10:20am: Launch ceremony of the Education Innovation Excellence Programmecul
- 10:20-10:35am: Tea break
- 10:35-12.00pm: XJTLU Education Forum Theme One: Reshaping the university and student-centred university system.
- 10:35-11:05am: Keynote speech by Professor Peigen Lu. Topic: TBC
- 11:05-11:35am: Keynote speech: Professor Daren Huang. Topic: Some thinking about talent cultivation
- 11:35-11:40am: Release of XJTLU 10th anniversary book: “The Story of XJTLU" by Kelvin Douglas Everest
- 11:40-11:45am: Release of handbook on student-centred university system Question session on the book
- 11:45-11:50am: Release of XJTLU 10th anniversary book: “Rational Crazy: The Way of Education" and "Unconventionally Live: The Way of Management" by Professor Youmin Xi
- 11:50-12:00pm: Open questions
- 12:00-1:30pm: Lunch and break
- 2.00-5.00pm: XJTLU Education Forum Theme Two: University teaching innovation in student-centred learning
- 1:30-2:00pm Keynote speech by Professor Zhijian Wi. Topic: Challenges in higher education innovation
- 2.00-2:30pm: Keynote speech by Professor Boqin Feng. Topic: The Art and Responsibility of Being a University Teacher
- 2:30-2:35pm: Introduction to XJTLU National University Teaching Innovation Award
- 2:35-2:55pm: Award candidate teacher A
- 2:55-3:15pm: Award candidate teacher B
- 3:15-3:30pm: Tea break
- 3:30-3:50pm: Award candidate teacher C
- 3:50-4:10pm: Award candidate teacher D
- 4:10-4:30pm: Award candidate teacher E
- 4:30-4:50pm: Presentation of Learning and Teaching Innovation Outstanding Contribution Affiliation
- 4:30-6:00pm: Closed-door panel discussion
- 4:50-5:10pm: Presentation of Learning and Teaching Affiliation
- 5:10-6:00pm: XJTLU National University Teaching Innovation Award practice expo
- 6:00-8:00pm: Presentations to winners of the University Teaching Innovation Award.
21 May 2016 (day two)
- Third Wisdom Lake Internationalisation Summit of Higher Education (WISHE) 2016: Developing an international innovation eco-system. For more information please see separate events listing.
22 May 2016 (day three)
- 9.00am-12pm: XJTLU Education Forum Theme Three: High school education in the age of university transformation. Guest speakers: Jun Ge, President of Nanjing Normal University Affiliated School; Chunliang Zhou, School Principle of Soochow Academy; Dong Chen, School Principle of No. 1 Middle School of Hefei No.1 Middle School; Dr Libin Liu, Deputy Secretary of Chaoyang District Beijing Education Committee
- Third Wisdom Lake Internationalisation Summit of Higher Education 2016 sub-forum. For more information please see separate events listing.
Attendance of XJTLU Education Forum Themes One and Two ONLY (20 May)
Early bird fee (until 28 March)
- Education Innovation Excellence Programme member: RMB 480
- Non-member: RMB 600
- Enroled student: RMB 300
Fee before 25 April
- Education Innovation Excellence Programme member: RMB 760
- Non-member: RMB 950
- Enroled student: RMB 480
Fee from 25 April until 22 May
- Education Innovation Excellence Programme member: RMB 960
- Non-member: RMB 1,200
- Enroled student: RMB 600
Registration fee includes dinners on 19 and 20 May, and lunch and tea break on 20 May.
Attendance of full annual conference (20 to 22 May)
Early bird fee (until 28 March)
- Education Innovation Excellence Programme member: RMB 1,480
- Non-member: RMB 1,850
- Enrolled student: RMB 800
Fee before 25 April
- Education Innovation Excellence Programme member: RMB 1,760
- Non-member: RMB 2,200
- Enrolled student: RMB 980
Fee from 25 April until 22 May
- Education Innovation Excellence Programme member: RMB 1,960
- Non-member: RMB 2,450
- Enrolled student: RMB 1,100
Registration fee includes relevant conference materials, meals and tea break.
Registration fees can be paid by cash, debit or credit card or by bank transfer, the information for which is as follows:
Deposit bank: Agricultural Bank of China, Xie Tang sub-branch, Suzhou Industrial Park
Bank account number: 5507 0104 0006 923
Organisation name: Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Please specify the postscript ACHEI 2016 – Participants