- Ph.D. , Macquarie University, Sydney - 2006
- M.A. , Macquarie University, Sydney - 1999
- B.S. , UNSW, Sydney - 1995
- Lecturer, Department of English, Culture and Communication - 2013 to Present
- Senior Research Officer, NPS Better Choices Better Health - 2011 to 2012
- Senior Research Officer, Australian Bureau of Statistics - 2010 to 2011
- Educational and Research Consultant, Independent Consultancy - 2007 to 2013
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Sydney - 2007 to 2010
- Program Manager, Macquarie University - 2007 to 2010
- Senior Research Associate, City University of Hong Kong - 2000 to 2003
- Visiting Lecturer and Assistant Director, South China Construction University - 1999 to 2000
- Discourse analysis
- Business, organisational, professional and public communication
- Medical humanities
- Bryce, M., Cheung, Paul & Gutierrez, A. K. 2010 'Clones, hybrids and organ transplants in manga and anime', International Journal of the Humanities, vol. 8, no. , p. 279-290
- Gilbert, G. L., Kerridge, I. & Cheung, Paul 2010 'Mandatory influenza immunisation of health-care workers', The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. , p. 3-5
- Gilbert, G. L., Cheung, Paul & Kerridge, I. B. 2009 'Infection control, ethics and accountability', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 190, no. , p. 696-8
- (2014-2015) Communicative dynamics in high-density gated communities: A case study of the bourgeois public sphere in a socialist state In: Housing 2.0: Search for New Paradigms for Collaborative Housing, pp.
- (2004-2005) Quantifying quality: Lessons from the stakeholders of Audiology. In: The 6th Australian Conference on Quality of Life, 2004 Toorak, Melbourne. Deakin University., pp.
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- Cheung, Paul 2018 China's Urban Transformation: Suzhou in Transition, ,
Chapters, cases, readings and supplements
- Cheung, Paul 2018, 'Nativism and Urbanisation: The Case of Suzhou Municipality' in (eds) China's Urban Transformation: Suzhou in Transition, , pp.
- Cheung, Paul 2011, 'A serious reading of biotechnology in Japanese graphic novels: Weak thoughts regarding ethics, literature and medicine' in Carpi, D. (eds) Bioethics and Biolaw through Literature, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter GmbH, pp.
- Cheung, Paul & Kerridge, I. 2009, 'Managing changes in survivors' identity and relationships' in Robotin, M., Olver, I. & Girgis, A. (eds) When cancer crosses disciplines: A physician's handbook, London: Imperial College Press, pp.
- Cheung, Paul 2002, 'Specifying 'purpose' in ESP: The case of the engineering analytical report' in Candlin, C. N. (eds) Research and Practice in Professional Discourse, Hong Kong: City University Press, pp.
- 2002-2003, The 13th World Congress of the Association Internationale de Linguistique Appliqué (AILA), December 16-21, 2002 / Information transfer across genres in academic and professional legal contexts
- 2005-2006, Diversity of discourse communities in health: Power, politics and risk, 2 July, 2005 / From utility to commodity: Discourses related to a measuring instrument of quality-of-life
- 2007-2008, The Third Australian Conference on Utopia, Dystopia and Science Fiction, 5-7 December, 2007 / Of Cats, coincidence and continuity: Utopias with Chinese characteristics?
- 2009-2010, The 35th Congress of the Australasian Universities Languages and Literature Association, 4-6 January, 2009 / Vital signs: Looking and being human in manga
- 2009-2010, Frontiers of Medical Education, 11 December 2009 / Rethinking healthcare worker education and infection control: Lessons from the threat posed by influenza
- 2014-2015, Housing 2.0: Search for New Paradigms for Collaborative Housing / Communicative dynamics in high-density gated communities: A case study of the bourgeois public sphere in a socialist state
- 2017-2018, Asia in Motion: Beyond Borders and Boundaries / The Discursive Architecture of Citizenship in Urban China
- 2017-2018, Deliberative Democracy Conference: Authoritarian Deliberation Revisited / Property-related deliberations in Australia and China: A comparison between Sydney and Suzhou
- Cheung, Paul 2018, Principal Investigator, Research Development Fund, 0.0000,
- Cheung, Paul 2018, Co-Principal Investigator, Unrestricted Grant in Population Health, 40000.0000,
- Chang, Ying & Cheung, Paul 2016, Co-Principal Investigator, Centre for Social Management and Development, 20000.0000, Taihu New City Administration of Wujiang
- Chang, Ying, Cheung, Paul & Tang, Beibei 2016, Co-Principal Investigator, Innovations in Deliberation and Governance in Local Communities in China, 0.0000, Ministry of Education's SINOSS
- Kohlbacher, Florian, Chang, Ying, Chen, Bing, Cheung, Paul & Freire, Tiago 2015, , Research Institute in Aging and Society, 0.0000, South Jiangsu National Innovation Development Area
- Cheung, Paul 2007, Co-Investigator, Total grants to-date worth approximately RMB3,000,000 (2007-2010), ,
Professional service activities
- 2018 Asian Studies Review.
- 2016 Board of Permanent Reviewers, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication.
- 2015 Board of Permanent Reviewers, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication.
- 2014 Board of Permanent Reviewers, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication.
- 2013 Board of Permanent Reviewers, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication.
Awards and honours
- 2007 Honorary Associate, Department of Linguistics, Macquarie University 2007 to 2013
- 2003 Research Award of Areas and Centres of Excellence, Macquarie University, Sydney, 2003-2005
Department of English, Culture and Communication
Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
111 Ren'ai Road
Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District
Suzhou Industrial Park
People's Republic of China