The MSc Economics and Finance programme combines a solid foundation in economic theory and applied econometrics with the study of finance. The study of financial microeconomics and macroeconomics will help you to understand complex issues related to financial decision-making while econometrics will provide the necessary tools to perform rigorous research in applied economics and finance. In addition, finance modules included in this programme cover a wide range of subjects related to portfolio theory, corporate finance, investment and strategy, and derivative instruments.
International Business School Suzhou attracts self-motivated students who are interested in a programme related to economics and specialising in finance. Students considering applying for this programme should have some prior learning in quantitative methods, statistics or econometrics, especially students with a bachelors degree that is not in economics or finance.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
The IBSS Financial Lab and Trading Floor:
- Gives access to a world of data for study and research
- Includes data feeds from Datastream and Thomson One
- Provides training by Thomson Reuters staff on EIKON system, leading to a TR EIKON training certificate.
Enhanced employment prospects:
- Develop both economics and finance skills
- Connect with industry through internship opportunities
- Build a solid foundation for PhD studies in economics and related fields.
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Economics and Finance programme will equip you with:
- Knowledge and understanding of core and advanced principles, theories and models relevant to finance and financial management
- The ability to explain, understand and apply statistical and econometric techniques and their application to the analysis of financial information and data
- An understanding of portfolio selection, risk and risk management, and the macroeconomic context of international financial transactions
- Skills in creative and critical thinking, problem-solving, data collection and analysis, and report writing.
Our professors really care about us, ensuring we understand and providing us with current examples so that we can link theory and practice.Qiong Ji Alumna, MSc Economics and Finance, China
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to obtain your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.The additional learning activities on MSc Economics and Finance may include learning activities that do not count credits, such as:
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Personal and Employability Skills
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese Language
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- Graduate Research Assistantship
- Graduate Work Placement
- Independent Study with an IBSS Tutor
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- EIKON Certificate Achievement
- Datastream Certificate Achievement
- Professional Software Skills
- Volunteer Work for University and School Projects and Events
- In-Company Project
- Field Trip/Company visit
- Career Development Activities
- PhD course 1: Time Series Analytics
- PhD course 2: Asset Pricing Analytics
- PhD course 3: Empirical Data Analytics
- Family Enterprise and Ownership
The MSc Economics and Finance programme is designed to give you an advantage when pursuing career opportunities in the financial sector, and with central banks and other monetary financial institutions, international organisations, academia and research institutions. Since it has a strong foundation in economics, it is also attractive to students who may have an interest in the wider business sector, especially within multinational enterprises. Examples of such positions include:
Investment strategy analyst
Director of research
Market risk analyst
Head of investor relations
The programme is also well-suited for the students who would like to continue to PhD level.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18 month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum entry requirements
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2018....
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering and some understanding of quantitative methods, statistics or econometrics.
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the APPLY link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time and upload any remaining supporting documents.
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.