- Ph.D. , Biology (Ecology focus), University of York, - 1999
- B.Sc. , Biology (Ecology focus), University of York, - 1995
- Associate Professor, Environmental Science, XJTLU - 2014 to Present
- Research Fellow in Climate Change, Sustainability and Human Health, University of Exeter Medical School - 2011 to 2014
- Risk Manager/Research Analyst Hedging Frameworks and Risk Capital Allocation, Hedging Frameworks and Risk Capital Allocation, E.On Energy Trading - 2008 to 2010
- Quantitative Strategist (Statistical Analyst) & Power Portfolio Risk Analyst, Energy Wholesale, E.On UK and E.On Energy Trading - 2007 to 2008
- Research Fellow (PDRA) in Community and Ecosystem Ecology, University of Nottingham - 2003 to 2006
- EC Marie Curie Individual Research Fellow in Ecosystems and Global Environmental Change, Risø National Laboratory - 2002 to 2003
- Research Fellow (PDRA) in Soil Biodiversity and Carbon Cycling, University of York - 1999 to 2002
My research interests lie in the response of ecosystems to environmental change, especially climate change. I am particularly interested in how ecosystem functioning is impacted by environmental change. A key topic that my research focusses on is how soil ecosystems respond to environmental perturbations (e.g. warming, drought, altered nitrogen availability, elevated atmospheric CO2). The link between plants and soil organisms is still poorly understood and is maybe the last great unknown in ecology. I have worked extensively with the ubiquitous symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi (plant root mutualists), as a better understanding of their responses to environmental change and their impacts on the soil carbon cycle is of central importance in improving global circulation models used to predict future climate change. I also have interest in the link between biodiversity and ecosystem functioning, in soil and other ecosystems (e.g. using moss arthropod communities). Much of my work has been on terrestrial ecosystems, however the link between terrestrial (including freshwater) and marine is something I've been developing recently (e.g. coastal eutrophication and algal blooms). Finally, I also have an interest in the link between environment and human health.
- Staddon, PL, Reinsch, S, Olsson, P-A, Ambus, P & Lüscher, A 2014 'A decade of free-air CO2 enrichment did not change the ecosystem carbon balance despite faster carbon cycling in grass-clover vegetation', Functional Ecology, vol. 28, no. , p. 538-545
- Staddon, PL, Montgomery, HE & Depledge, MH 2014 'Climate warming will not decrease winter mortality', Nature Climate Change, vol. 4, no. , p. 190-194
- Staddon, PL, Montgomery, HE & Depledge, MH 2014 'Reply to 'A note of caution about the excess winter deaths measure'', Nature Climate Change, vol. 4, no. , p. 648
- Staddon, PL, Lindo, Z, Crittenden, PD, Gilbert, FS & Gonzalez, A 2010 'Connectivity, non-random extinction and ecosystem function in experimental metacommunities', Ecology Letters, vol. 13, no. , p. 543-552
- Ostle, N, Briones, MJI, Ineson, P, Cole, L & Staddon, P 2007 'Isotopic detection of recent photosynthate carbon flow into grassland rhizosphere fauna', Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. , p. 768-777
- Vandenkoornhuyse, P, Mahé, S, Ineson, P, Staddon, P & Ostle, N 2007 'Active root-inhabiting microbes identified by rapid incorporation of plant-derived carbon into RNA', Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. , p. 16970-16975
- Cole, L, Staddon, PL, Sleep, D & Bardgett, RD 2004 'Soil animals influence microbial abundance, but not plant-microbial competition for organic nitrogen', Functional Ecology, vol. 18, no. , p. 631-640
- Staddon, PL, Gregersen, R & Jakobsen, I 2004 'The response of two Glomus mycorrhizal fungi and a fine endophyte to elevated atmospheric CO2, soil warming and drought.', Global Change Biology, vol. 10, no. , p. 1909-1921
- Staddon, PL 2004 'Carbon isotopes in functional soil ecology', Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 19, no. , p. 148-154
- Staddon, PL, Jakobsen, I & Blum, H 2004 'Nitrogen input mediates the effect of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) on mycorrhizal fungal abundance', Global Change Biology, vol. 10, no. , p. 1678-1688
- Fitter, AH, Heinemeyer, A, Husband, R, Olsen, E & Ridgway, KP 2004 'Global environmental change and the biology of arbuscular mycorrhizas: gaps and challenges', Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 82, no. , p. 1133-1139
- Staddon, PL, Thompson, K, Jakobsen, I, Grime, JP & Askew, AP 2003 'Mycorrhizal fungal abundance is affected by long-term climatic manipulations in the field', Global Change Biology, vol. 9, no. , p. 186-194
- Staddon, PL, Bronk Ramsey, C, Ostle, N, Ineson, P & Fitter, AH 2003 'Fitter AH (2003) Rapid turnover of hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi determined by AMS microanalysis of 14C', Science, vol. 300, no. , p. 1138-1140
- Staddon, PL, Ostle, N & Fitter, AH 2003 'Earthworm extraction by electroshocking does not affect canopy CO2 exchange, root respiration, mycorrhizal fungal abundance or vitality', Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. , p. 421-426
- Staddon, PL, Ostle, N, Dawson, LA & Fitter, AH 2003 'The speed of soil carbon throughput in an upland grassland is increased by liming', Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 54, no. , p. 1461-1469
- Bradford, MA, Jones, TH, Bardgett, RD, Black, HIJ & Boag, B 2002 'Impacts of soil faunal community composition on model grassland ecosystems', Science, vol. 298, no. , p. 615-618
- Staddon, PL, Heinemeyer, A & Fitter, AH 2002 'Mycorrhizas and global environmental change: research at different scales', Plant and Soil, vol. 244, no. , p. 253-261
- Staddon, PL & Fitter, AH 2001 'The differential vitality of intraradical mycorrhizal structures and its implications', Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 33, no. , p. 129-132
- Fitter, AH, Heinemeyer, A & Staddon, PL 2000 'The impact of elevated CO2 and global climate change on arbuscular mycorrhizas: a mycocentric approach', New Phytologist, vol. 147, no. , p. 179-187
- Staddon, PL, Fitter, AH & Robinson, D 1999 'Effects of mycorrhizal colonisation and elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide on carbon fixation and below ground carbon partitioning in Plantago lanceolata', Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 50, no. , p. 853-860
- Staddon, PL, Graves, JD & Fitter, AH 1999 'Effect of enhanced atmospheric CO2 on mycorrhizal colonisation and phosphorus inflow in 10 herbaceous species of contrasting growth strategies', Functional Ecology, vol. 13, no. , p. 190-199
- Staddon, PL, Robinson, D, Graves, JD & Fitter, AH 1999 'The 13C signature of the external phase of a Glomus mycorrhizal fungus: determination and implications', Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 31, no. , p. 1067-1070
- Staddon, PL, Fitter, AH & Graves, JD 1999 'Effect of elevated atmospheric CO2 on mycorrhizal colonisation, external mycorrhizal hyphal production and phosphorus inflow in Plantago lanceolata and Trifolium repens in association with the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus mosseae', Global Change Biology, vol. 5, no. , p. 347-358
- Staddon, PL 1998 'Insights into mycorrhizal colonisation at elevated CO2: a simple carbon partitioning model', Plant and Soil, vol. 205, no. , p. 171-180
- Staddon, PL, Graves, JD & Fitter, AH 1998 'Effect of enhanced atmospheric CO2 on mycorrhizal colonisation by Glomus mosseae in Plantago lanceolata and Trifolium repens', New Phytologist, vol. 139, no. , p. 571-580
- Staddon, PL & Fitter, AH 1998 'Does elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide affect arbuscular mycorrhizas?', Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 13, no. , p. 455-458
Chapters, cases, readings and supplements
- Staddon, PL & Depledge, MH 2015, 'Implications of unconventional gas extraction on climate change: a global perspective' in Praeger (eds) The Human and Environmental Costs of Fracking: How Fracturing Shale for Gas Affects Us and Our World, , pp.
Professional service activities
- 2015 Nature Climate Change.
- 2014 UK Medical Research Council.
- 2014 International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.
- 2014 Geochemical Journal.
- 2014 Regional Environmental Change.
- 2013 Global Change Biology.
- 2013 Oecologia.
- 2013 Environmental Health.
- 2013 New Phytologist.
- 2012 Functional Ecology.
- 2010 Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (Portugal).
- 2010 Ecology.
- 2004 New Phytologist.
- 2004 Global Change Biology.
- 2004 Trends in Ecology and Evolution.
- 2003 Natural Environment Research Council (UK).
- 2003 Mycorrhiza.
- 2003 Science.
- 2003 Oecologia.
- 2002 Functional Ecology.
- 2002 Plant and Soil.
- 2001 Global Change Biology.
- 2001 New Phytologist.
- 2001 Soil Biology and Biochemistry.
- 2000 Journal of Ecology.
- 2000 Plant and Soil.
- 2000 Functional Ecology.
- 1999 Plant and Soil.
- 1999 Soil Biology and Biochemistry.
- 1999 Trends in Ecology and Evolution.
- 1999 Global Change Biology.
- 1998 New Phytologist.
- ENV104 Introduction to Planet Earth
Telephone+86 (0) 512 8188 489
Department of Environmental Science, Office SB567 Science Building
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool UniversitySuzhou, 215123, People's Republic of China
111 Ren'ai Road, Dushu Lake Higher Education Town, Suzhou Industrial Park