International Design Workshop - Qingdao Dabaodao Revitalisation: Progressive Heritage Interventions

International Design Workshop - Qingdao Dabaodao Revitalisation: Progressive Heritage Interventions

“Seize the opportunity to experience urban revitalisation in one of China's most historically interesting districts. Expand your horizons, network with industry professionals, and contribute to shaping Dabaodao's future.”


Dabaodao, located within a conservation area in Qingdao, China, has been the backdrop for numerous historical events and occurrences spanning from the late 19th to the early 20th centuries. Formerly a prosperous centre characterised by German and Japanese architectural influences, Dabaodao stands as a testament to Qingdao's colonial legacy.

Despite its historical significance, the area grapples with contemporary challenges that threaten its aesthetic appeal, such as urban decay, derelict properties, and a stagnant local economy. Nevertheless, within these challenges, there exist boundless opportunities to weave a new narrative—an innovative story of regeneration, sustainability, and cultural renaissance.

Workshop Details

Design School is pleased to announce an international, interdisciplinary workshop to revitalise the Dabaodao area. This workshop offers a unique on-site learning and practical studio experience with tutors and students from global institutes, such as Qingdao City University (QCU), the International Laboratory of Architecture and Urban Design (ILAUD), the University of Westminster in the UK, and the International University of Rabat (IUR) in Morocco. You will experience a cross-cultural and interdisciplinary collaboration opportunity across urban planning, urban design, architecture, industrial design, civil engineering, and interior design.

Each tutor will lead a small group of students in conducting research on a specific sub-theme and/or proposing design solutions. During the workshop, you will have the chance to attend lectures related to the project theme, work with government agencies, private companies, local stakeholders and residents, gain insight into the complexity and diversity of local history, explore local people's stories and collective memories, and develop new narratives for the place.

Workshop Output

The workshop outcomes will be featured in a public exhibition in Qingdao and selected works will be published in an ILAUD publication. Upon the successful completion of the workshop activities, you will be awarded a certificate of participation. For undergraduate students, your full participation in the workshop can contribute to your 90-hour work placement.


This opportunity is open to undergraduate Year 3 and Year 4 students, as well as postgraduates from all disciplines within the Design School. The workshop can accommodate a maximum of 15 student participants. The selection will be conducted by all five workshop tutors from the Design School.


28 June (Fri) - 6 July (Sat) 2024

(8 nights and 9 days, excluding two travel days)


The Dabaodao area (near Huangdao Road) Qingdao, China

How to Apply

Express your interest in participation by filling in your survey here and upload your CV:

Application Deadline: Friday, 26 April

Participation Fee

1,560 RMB (60% of the accommodation and travel expense, the other 40% funded by Design School)

Workshop Tutor

Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU, Organising Institute)

  • Tutors: Min Joo Baek (ARC), Cheng Zhang (CEN), Emanuela Corti (IND), Hyung Rae Cho (UPD), Yiwen Wang (UPD)
  • Panel: Yiping Dong (ARC)

Qingdao City University (QCU, Host Institute)

  • Tutors: Yan Zhu, Haijun Li, Ali Cheshmahzangi, Shuo Li, Qiang Hu

ILAUD & University of Westminster (Partner Institute)

  • Tutors: Giulio Verdini, Shengkang Fu, Pilar Guerrieri

International University of Rabat (Partner Institute)

  • Tutors: Imane Bennani, Youssef El Ganadi


Hyung Rae Cho, Yiwen Wang (UPD, XJTLU), Yan Zhu (QCU), Giulio Verdini (ILAUD)


Any questions, feel free to contact any of the workshop tutors in your department (Urban Planning and Design) (Architecture) (Civil Engineering) (Industrial Design)