- Ph.D. , Universität Koblenz-Landau, Germany - 1998
- M.S. , Yunnan Normal University, China - 1985
- B.S. , Anhui Normal University, China - 1982
- Lecturer, Computer Science at XJTLU - 2007 to Present
- I.T. Consultant, HTC Europe Co. Ltd, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom - 2007 to 2007
- Research Associate, Computational Biology Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Wales, Aberystwyth - 2005 to 2007
- Research Fellow, School of Informatics, City University, London, United Kingdom; - 2002 to 2005
- Research Fellow, Knowledge Media Institute, Open University, United Kingdom - 2000 to 2002
- Project Consultant, the Machine Learning Research Centre, Faculty of Information Technology, Queensland University of Technology, Australia - 1999 to 1999
- Research Assistant, Department of Computer Science, University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany - 1996 to 1999
- Visiting Scholar, Integrated Publication and Information Systems Institute (IPSI),German National Research Centre for Information Technology (GMD), Germany - 1995 to 1996
- Lecturer, in Computer Science, Guizhou University, China - 1988 to 1995
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, Yunnan Normal University, China - 1985 to 1988
Research interestsMy main research interest is in the logic based knowledge technologies and their application. This includes ontology, knowledge representation and nonmonotonic reasoning, relational data mining and knowledge discovery. My current research work is on intelligent database systems in Bioinformatics, Intelligent Image Processing and agent based modelling of cell’s behavior in biology.
Knowledge representation and nonmonotonic reasoning is the topic of my PhD research. Motivated by developing procedures for implementing semantics of disjunction and nonmonotonic negation in logic programming and deductive databases, I focused on the development of algorithms of minimal model reasoning and query answering in logic programs and deductive databases. As part of the work, I took an alternative point of view on disjunctive logic programs and put forward the thesis “Disjunctive Program = Horn Program + Control Program”, this resulted in a set of novel transformations which transform a disjunctive logic program into a Horn program and a control program. One of the great benefits from this idea is that the existing techniques developed for Horn programs can be smoothly incorporated into the implementation of disjunctive logic programs.
I worked on Ontology in the EU IST-project IBROW3 (An Intelligent Brokering Service for Knowledge-Component reuse on the World-Wide Web) in the Knowledge Media Institute at the Open University. The objective of IBROW3 is to develop intelligent brokers that are able to distributively configurable knowledge components (domains, tasks and problem solving methods) into knowledge systems through the Web. In this project, I developed a library of classification problem solving based on ontology and developed a prototype system IRS (Internet Reasoning Service), which enables application developers to prototype knowledge-based applications quickly out of reusable components from distributed problem-solving methods libraries on the Web.
From April 2002 to March 2005, I worked on the EU IST-project SOCS (Societies Of ComputeeS) in the School of Informatics at City University, London. This project investigates computational and logical models of individual and collective behavior of computational entities - which is referred to as computes- interacting in the context of global and open computing environments. In this project I have developed a prototype platform based on peer-to-peer technology (JXTA) to support the deployment of logic agents in an open environment.
My work on relational data mining and knowledge discovery starts in April 2005 when I joined the BBSRC funded project BLID: A Bio-logical Intelligent Database in the Computational Biology Group at the University of Aberystwyth. This project aims to develop intelligent database technology for functional genomics using data from yeast as a model. Such intelligent database technology will have the capacity to aid biologists infer new biological knowledge. I have developed a relational database which integrates data from heterogeneous online biological databases. In the course of the project, I have gained a good experience in collecting biological data, building biological databases and applying machine learning techniques for knowledge discovery from the relational databases.
My current research work includes: applying AI techniques in bioinformatics, such as multi-relational data mining in biological databases and microarray and agent based simulation of cell’s behavior. In 2011 I facilitated the establishment of the Systems Biology group with Dr. Zhang Junlong, Dr. Sun Tao from Biological Sciences department, Dr. Zhang Bailing from CSSE based on my multidisciplinary research experience and teaching backgrounds in bioinformatics, relational data mining, algorithms and databases. Due to the joint efforts, we have successfully applied an 863 project funding (1500,000RMB). Currently we are working on a research project about microarray data analysis based on information theory.
- Zhang, Yungang, Zhang, Bailing, Coenen, Frans & Lu, Wenjin 2012 'Breast Cancer Diagnosis from Biopsy Images with Highly Reliable Random Subspace Classifiers Ensemble', Submitted to journal of Machine Vision and Applications, vol. , no. , p. (under revision)
- Zhang, Yungang, Zhang, Bailing, Coenen, Frans & Lu, Wenjin 2012 'Highly Reliable Breast Cancer Diagnosis with Cascaded Ensemble Classifiers', International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, vol. , no. , p. IJCNN 2012
- Zhang, Bailing, Zhang, Yungang & Lu, Wenjin 2012 'Hybrid Model of Self-organizing Map and Kernel Auto-associator for Internet Intrusion Detection', International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics, vol. , no. , p.
- Zhang, Bailing, Zhang, Yungang, Lu, Wenjin & Han, Guoxia 2011 'Phenotype Recognition by Curvelet Transform and Random Subspace Ensembl', Journal of Applied Mathematics & Bioinformatics, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 79-103
- Bracciali, Andrea, Endriss, Ulle, Demetriou, Neophytos, Kakas, Antonios & Lu, Wenjin 2006 'Crafting the Mind of PROSOCS Agents', Applied Artificial Intelligence, vol. 20, no. 4-5, p. April 2006
- Crubzy, M., Motta, E., Lu, W. & Musen, M. A. 2003 'Configuring Online Problem-Solving Resources with the Internet Reasoning Service', IEEE Intelligent Systems, vol. 18, no. 2, p. pp. 34-42
- (2011-2012) Breast Cancer Classification From Histological Images with Multiple Features and Random Subspace Classifier Ensemble In: Proceedingsof CMLS-11, Japan, 2011, pp.
- (2010-2011) Multi-resolution fractal analysis and classification ofneurite images In: Proceedings of 2010 3rd International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics (BMEI2010), Yantai, China, pp. pp.419-423
- (2010-2011) Classification of Malignant Lymphomas by Classifier Ensemble with Multiple Texture Features In: Proceeding of 2010 International Conference on Life System Modeling and Simulation (LSMS¡10), Wuxi, China, pp. pp. 155-164
- (2009-2010) E-PAF, an ontology-based conceptual framework In: the International Conference on Industrial globalization and Technology Innovation, Xian, China, 2009, pp.
- (2007-2008) Disjunctive Bottom Set and Its Computation In: The 20th International FLAIRS Conference (FLAIRS-20), May 7 - 9, 2007 Key West, Florida, USA., pp.
- (2006-2007) Crafting the Mind of PROSOCS Agents In: Applied Artificial Intelligence, 20(4-5), April 2006, pp.
- (2004-2005) PROSOCS: A Platform for Programming Software Agents in Computational Logic In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium, pp. pp. 523-528
- (2004-2005) The KGP Model of Agency for Global Computing: Computational Model and Prototype Implementation In: Global Computing 2004, volume 3267 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 2004, pp.
- (2003-2004) Building Socio-Cognitive Grids by Combining Peer-to-Peer Computing with Computational Logic In: 1st International Workshop on "Socio-Cognitive Grids: The Net as a Universal Human Resource" in TALES of the Dissapearing Computer (DC), pp.
- (2003-2004) Configuring Online Problem-Solving Resources with the Internet Reasoning Service In: IEEE Intelligent Systems, vol. 18, no. 2, March/April 2003, pp. pp. 34-42
- (2003-2004) Competent agents and customising protocols In: Proceedings of ESAW03, pp.
- (2002-2003) Configuring Online Problem-Solving Resources with the Internet Reasoning Service In: Conference on Intelligent Information Processing of the International Federation for Information Processing WCC 2002, Montreal, Canada. Kluwer. 2002, pp.
- (2001-2002) The Internet Reasoning Service: Delivering Configurable Problem-Solving Components to Web Users In: Interactive Tools for Knowledge Capture Workshop, K-CAP 2001, pp.
- (2000-2001) A Library of Components for Classification Problem Solving In: Proceedings of PKAW 2000: The 2000 Pacific Rim Knowledge Acquisition, Workshop, Sydney, Australia, December 11-13, 2000, pp.
- (1999-2000) View Updates in Disjunctive Deductive Databases Based on SLD-Resolution In: Proceedings of KRDB'99. Linkoeping (Sweden), July, 1999, pp.
- (1999-2000) A Proof Procedure for Positive Disjunctive Logic Programming In: Proceedings of FLAIRS 99, Orlando, USA. AAAI Press. May, 1999, pp. pp. 268--272
- (1999-2000) Expert Advice via Internet - Working Towards Knowledge-Based Systems on the Web In: the proceedings of the Workshop "The Inaugural Australian Workshop on the Application of Artificial Intelligence to Plant and Animal Production", pp.
- (1998-1999) Disjunctive Logic Program=Horn Program + Control Program In: Proc. JELIA 98, number 1489 in Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence. European Workshop on Logic in AI, Springer, 1998, pp. pp. 33-45
- (1997-1998) Minimal Model Generation Based on E-Hyper Tableaux In: Proc. of KI'97: Advances in Artificial Intelligence. 21st Annual German Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Springer, 1997, pp. pp. 99-110
- (1992-1993) Ladder Schedule in Advanced Information Systems In: Proc. of 5th Sino--Japanese International Conference on Computer Application, China, 1992, pp.
Books, monographs, compilations and manuals
- Lv, Wenjin 1999 Nonmonotonic Reasoning Based on Minimal models and its Implementation, Koblenzer Schriften zur Informatik 11, Fölbach-Verlag, Koblenz, Germany, 1999,
Chapters, cases, readings and supplements
- Zhang, Yungang, Zhang, Bailing & Lu, Wenjin 2012, 'Breast Cancer Histological Image Classification with Multiple Features and Random Subspace Classifier Ensemble' in (eds) Innovations in Knowledge-based Systems in Biomedicine, Springer-Verlag , 2012, pp.
- Lv, Wenjin 2012, Principal Investigator, Blood microRNA Expression and DNA Methylation as Biomarkers for Molecular Typing of Type 2 Diabetes, 0.0000, National High-tech R&D Program of China (863 Program) in 2012
- Lv, Wenjin 2011, Principal Investigator, Image Processing in Neuroinformatics: Automated Detection, Tracking and Analysis of Time-lapse STED Imaging of Dendritic Spines, 0.0000, Suzhou Municipal Science & Technology Foundation Project
- Lv, Wenjin 2010, Principal Investigator, Learning Multiscale Kernels for Image Analysis, 60000.0000, Research Development Fund(RDF)
- Lv, Wenjin 2009, Principal Investigator, Intelligent Analysis, Retrieving and Management of Biology Image, 0.0000, Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province
- Lv, Wenjin 2007, , An Information System for Ancient Chinese Architecture Protection, 0.0000, National Key Technologies R & D Program of China
Professional service activities
- 2012 - Present: Departmental Representative on the University's XX Committee.
- 2012 - present: Departmental Representative on the University's Academic Board Committee.
- 2011 invited reviewer for 2011 International Symposium on Computational Models for Life Sciences (CMLS-11).
- 2010 - Present: Member of the Departments student recruitment Committee.
- 2010 - present: Departmental Representative on the University's Misconduct Committee.
- 2008 - 2012: Departmental Representative on the University's Library Committee.
- 2008 - 2009: Member of the Departments hiring Committee.
- 2007 Team Leader of CSSE.
- 2005 Member of the Challenge Chairs, ILP Challenge 2005, a special session during ILP 2005 in Bonn, Germany, August 10-13, 2005.
- 2002 "Adversarial Planning in Multiagent Systems based on Graphplan". Dagstuhl Seminar on Programming Multi Agent Systems based on Logic. Dagstuhl, Germany, 25/11/02 - 29/11/02..
- CSE102 Algorithmic Foundations and Problem Solving
- CSE106 Algorithmic Foundations and Problem Solving
- CSE201 Database Development and Design
Awards and honours
- 1998 , Oct. 1998: Won a DAAD Outstanding International Students Prize by the German Academic Exchange Service (in German, DAAD stands for "Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst")
- 1996 , Oct. 1996: Awarded a two-year Postgraduate Research Scholarship from University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany to fund my PhD research at the University
- 1995 , Feb. 1995: Awarded a one-year Scholarship from State Education Commission of P.R. China to fund my work as a visiting scholar in Integrated Publication and Information Systems Institute (IPSI), German National Research Centre for Information Technology
AddressUniversity Building – Room Number: B2:D439 Internal Telephone Number: 1505 External Postal Address: Xian Jiaotong-Liverpool University, 111 Ren Ai Road, Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, P.R. China 215123 External Telephone Number: